Sign in with
Your question

HP will not see the DVD drive

Last response: in Windows Vista
May 27, 2012 1:53:54 AM

Hello,
I have tried all the fixes I can find. I even deleted all the windows updates since the problem started.
I tried the regedit fixes but I can't get it to work. Seems like lots of other people are having the same problem. I even cleaned the connections and the DVD drive works fine in a different notebook.
HP dv9927cl.
It shows in bios but not in DM or my computer.

More about : dvd drive

a b α HP
May 27, 2012 11:50:34 AM

fivewires said:
Hello,
I have tried all the fixes I can find. I even deleted all the windows updates since the problem started.
I tried the regedit fixes but I can't get it to work. Seems like lots of other people are having the same problem. I even cleaned the connections and the DVD drive works fine in a different notebook.
HP dv9927cl.

Well, you eliminated the fact that the hardware is defective by The other laptop, recognizing your device. So i suggest installing the Chipset drivers and device drivers, and those other updates you uninstalled.
m
l
June 7, 2012 1:37:54 PM

fivewires said:
Hello,
HP dv9927cl.

If you created the Recovery Disks when you got the notebook, see if it will boot to the first disk (you may have to change the boot order from a cold start). If it does, it's not hardware. If not, see if you can set the BIOS defaults and try again. If it boots from the DVD drive but Windows still doesn't see it please advise.
m
l
Related resources
June 16, 2012 6:29:37 PM

it would not start with the recovery disk.
The drive does however spin up for a while then shuts down but nothing happens.
m
l
June 26, 2012 3:43:14 PM

fivewires said:
it would not start with the recovery disk.
The drive does however spin up for a while then shuts down but nothing happens.

Assure that the Recovery disk is bootable by booting another system with it (but NOT actually performing the recovery of course!)

If you're sure the notebook's boot order is correct (and the Recovery disk will boot in another device), it has to be hardware. At this stage of startup the operating system is out of the picture. Since the drive works in another machine it could be the controller on your system board or a loose cable inside. If you are comfortable opening your notebook to check and reseat the cable may be a good step.
m
l
July 4, 2012 7:11:13 PM

done that, no good
m
l
July 4, 2012 7:15:00 PM

I Ran one of the fixes and it said that there was something wrong with one of the IDE Controllers??? It said it needed to be re-installed.
m
l
July 4, 2012 8:06:52 PM

yep that would make sense.
m
l
July 5, 2012 1:32:55 AM

IDE controller, that's hardware problem. Best bet is buy a ribbon cable that will allow you to connect two devices to one IDE Adapter.
m
l
July 5, 2012 6:52:02 PM

It's been a while since I tore into an HP notebook does the hard drive and DVD drive run on the same cable.
m
l
July 5, 2012 7:25:45 PM

In DM there is a yellow flag on the AA1F96SE IDE controller, under Storage controllers.
I uninstalled it in DM then did a scan for changes, it looks like it re installed but it still has the yellow flag on that controller. It probably is a cable, I guess I have to take it apart and check the cable. Im not sure how to test it.
m
l
!