CPU core spiked upto 82C !!!

kookitan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
ive had over heating issues with my quadcore q6600 from when i got it. in another thread... with the adivce of some members, i tweaked the fan settings to spin at full speed and my cpu temps came down to 55-58C degrees from 70C
thats kinda normal cuz i live in a hot country and the temps are quite high. room temps are around 30-35C and my pc is placed in an enclosed area with not too much ventilation. but i was happy with a 55C cpu cuz it was normal for my room temps.

the problem started when i decided to fire up heroes of might and magic 5. played it at high settings and i minimized to check the temps and speed fan and core tem showed core 1 to touch 82C! . thats wayyy too hot. is heroes really THAT cpu intensive? only core 1 was in stress. but 82C is too much.

what should i do? could the readings be wrong? core1 was at full stess. when i closed the game all temps went back to mid 50's. the system temp stays at 45-55 most of the time. but the cores get high.

i cant change the cooler. been stuck with the stock one. wont be able to change it for a while. will better cable management inside the cabinet help? its not a big cabinet. so more ventilation would help?

specs are:
q6600
DG31PR
2GB RAM
XFX 8600GT
2X160GB HDD SATA
20z dvd burner SATA
400w PSU

kookitan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
i think it is seated properly... cuz under normal load it touches 50-55C which is normal cuz of the hot environment and enclosed area where there is not a whole lot of ventilation. but that spike for core 1 to 82C scared me a lot!

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

The highest you can go within limit is 71C for G0. It is not an excuse where you live. If you exceed the 71C bar, you are at your own risk. Here are a few things you can do:

Reseat the fan.
Reapply the thermal paste
Clean up cables to improve air flow
Put more fans inside the case.

lameness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
You said that heroes of might and magic only stressed the one core, that means that it is not a multithreaded game. As a result all the computing has to be done on one core taxing it much more than a game that could use two or four cores. That core was probably close to 100% use and therefore would of gotten hotter than most other games that are mutlithreaded. Dont get me wrong 81c is high, too high, but considering the room temps you stated, they seem reasonable for the stock cooler if the core is maxed out.

I suggest that you get a better cooling solution; either that or some AC. Im a brit and to me 35c is just ridiculous temps to be sitting at ur PC. I would be sticking to my seat with sweat.

kookitan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
ah, im indian. AC is switched on and the room is a cool 22C here in the room.... but the pc is in a corner of a table kept underneath. have no other place to keep it. ventilation does not reach there. thats why i said 34C around that area. ive had other systems kept there like my P4. never went too high. guess i have to check my HSF again. and clean up cables. ill try to add another 80 mm fan since my cabinet is quite small compared to some others...

Forget fans inside the case, get a room fan to circulate the AC around. Clean up the cables, dust off and reseat the sink, reapply thermal paste, you should be okay. Leave your case's side off if you need to.