[CPUs] Hardware noob question

Tom has $290 to spend and he can't decide between one of two options. Please help dumb dumb decide :)

Brief overview of what I currently have:
Mainboard: Asus M2V-TVM
CPU: AMD Athlon 3500+

Yes I'm desperate. XD

Option 1:
AMD - Phenom X4 9500 // $280

Option 2:
One of the Intel Core 2 Duos sockected into a new mainboard for under or just above $290. ;)

I'm purchasing from http://www.thediscshop.com.au/ I have no choice ><
You can view their products from the menu on the left hand side.

Hope someone can make a helpful suggestion as to where this 16 year old should take his money..
17 answers Last reply
More about cpus hardware noob question
  1. Neither is of any use without many more components. What did you have in mind, exactly?
  2. Second Mondoman.

    What are you planing to do with your machine?
    I would be leaning towards the C2D setup, though.
    The Phenoms are not bad but very under powered compared to much of Intel's offerings.
  3. Can you put a Quad on Asus M2V-TVM?

    You will need MB with both choices.
  4. If you are only doing number crunching then either would be a great upgrade, however, if you are gaming you wont notice diddly difference as most games are GPU dependant.

    By the way that mobo doesnt support AMD quads
    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
  5. depending on the apps

    if your encoding or photoshop get a quad

    otherwise get a minimum of 2.8ghz dual core - weather you clock a 2.4 to 2.8

    or buy a 2.8ghz chip if you can not oc
  6. outlw6669 said:
    Second Mondoman.

    What are you planing to do with your machine?
    I would be leaning towards the C2D setup, though.
    The Phenoms are not bad but very under powered compared to much of Intel's offerings.


    Games, rendering/encoding - everyday brings something new to my interest!

    chookman said:
    If you are only doing number crunching then either would be a great upgrade, however, if you are gaming you wont notice diddly difference as most games are GPU dependant.

    By the way that mobo doesnt support AMD quads
    http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us


    Hot damn.. didn't know that was even there hehehe

    --

    Ok, well I guess my mobo is ready for a replacement.. I'm still using a 7300 GS sooooo.. hmm. Perhaps I spend $230 on an X2 6000 then save the rest for a decent mainboard that won't go ut of style too quickly and go from there.

    Money doesn't flow through my bank account like water.. Kinda like sand
  7. Im still thinking an Intel dual is a better all-rounder than an AMD quad.

    #2 for the win!
  8. mrmez said:
    Im still thinking an Intel dual is a better all-rounder than an AMD quad.

    #2 for the win!


    Lol, can't affrod the quad anymore, PAY ATTENTION or you can go to the principle
  9. tomacco0 said:
    ...PAY ATTENTION or you can go to the principle

    The principal will be more interested in your spelling...
  10. Mondoman said:
    The principal will be more interested in your spelling...


    Sorry Mr. Monoman, it won't happen again :(
  11. tomacco0 said:
    Sorry Mr. Monoman, it won't happen again :(



    Just mis-spelt the your name thats detention
  12. chookman said:
    Just mis-spelt the your name thats detention


    As much as I'd like to have a sentence structure war right now, let us try to stay on topic, hmm? :)
  13. What graphics card do you have?
    For 270 it's probably worth getting a relatively cheap P35 mobo and a core2 CPU.
  14. tomacco0 said:
    I'm still using a 7300 GS sooooo.. hmm.


    $290 Australian to spend >.<

    I wouldn't mind an Intel CPU.. It would increase my chances of OSx86. I didn't just say that...
  15. hehehe Brisbane and sure, done and done.
  16. It really can't make its mind up lol
  17. Why is that? :)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Hardware