Sohaib

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Hi all, :hello:
If i had to purchase a hard drive with a capacity of 1tb or less, i would'nt have thought twice and have just bought WD Caviar Black. But i want to buy a hdd greater then 1TB in size, probably 1.5TB since i heard 2TB harddisks have lots of heating problem and Caviar Black comes upto a maximum capacity of 1TB.
I want as much capacity as possible in a single drive because all my mobo's 5 sata connectors are already in use and i will be swapping it with an older 80GB hdd in my case. Which one you guys suggest? I was thinking about WD Green 1.5TB latey but i just found at that they spin at 5400 RPM rather then 7200 RPM, is this correct?
I will be using this drive to store large chunks of videos, no editing, games or applications here, just archiving videos and watching them frequently. I just don't want to go for Seagate yet, does anyone know if WD will be bringing 1TB+ Caviar Black HDD's soon?
And does the heat is really an issue with 2TB harddrives? I have Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower casing with a huge 230mm Led fan directly in front of hdd's. Will it work or i have to use some other special cooler if i consider 2tb hdd's?
Thanks for any suggestions.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
the wd green series is perfect for your application .. and the performance isnt nearly as bad as anyone makes it out to be.

at worst 20%slower than the black series and it uses less power = less heat

siliconchampion

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
In my opinion, the green series is very good for your application. The hard drive spins at 5400 RPM under idle, and moves up to 7200 rpm when it needs to access data quickly. This would be great since you are running this drive simply for storage, the speeds are not going to affect you video work.

BTW: My friend has two Caviar Green 500GB's in raid 0 and they are quite fast, easily as fast as my two samsung 500's in R0.

Sohaib

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
So the vote goes for Caviar Green, ok i will keep this in mind next time i visit my retail store. Besides does anyone know if we can expect 1TB+ Caviar Black hard drives in the near future?

@ehanger
No offense to you buddy but i guess either you did'nt read thread title or you have some kind of fascination for SSD drives. Thread title says suggestion for 1TB+ hdd and in body i said i will be using it for archiving large hd recorded video files. Now if you consider spending 400USD for getting a 80GB SSD harddrive for archiving 8 hours of hdd footage then i will say go ahead.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
im not impressed with drives over 1 gigabyte. they seem to have problems.

1 gigabyte drives have proven to be solid in performance and quality.

why not get 2? it is the sweetspot on harddrive pricing.

I believe you meant 1 Terabyte, not 1 Gigabyte.