jeanluclariviere

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Hi guys,

Over the last 3 days i've taken my pentium E62220 (dual core 2.2ghz) to 2.8ghz and have run into a bit of a snag. The problem didnt affect me until tonight, and i've been using the computer most of the evening. When I reboot, the computer starts up - I can see the 4 LEDS on my MSI P35 neo2 light up, as they would, but quickly turn red. After a few seconds, the computer restarts and boots up properly. I'm about to run another OCCT stress test for a couple hours but thought i should ask before I did. Any ideas ?

Also, happened when I first built my PC on sunday, but the problem dissapeared after letting it rest a bit. I'd been tampering with the power-switch on the PSU before I first booted it and after a while, all the funky messages and reboot errors all stopped.

Here are my settings:

FSB - 320
multi - 9
Mem ratio - 1:1.2

vcore - 1.325 (which i think is a bit high for such a small OC.)
ram - 1.9
vtt fsb - 1.200
NB - 1.450
SB Core - 1.8

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Your going to cook your south bridge with a vcore of 1.8.

I also don't think you need 1.45 on the north bridge, for a relatively low fsb setting of 320. I would at least back the south bridge voltage back to around 1.3 or even less. See if that helps stability.

Priv

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
As sportsfanboy said, SB Core is waaay to high. Unless you are overclocking your PCI-E bus there is no need to increase SB voltage. Also your NB voltage is a little to high for 320 FSB, even with 450 FSB I only need a NB voltage of around 1.30-1.40, depending what PL I set.

jeanluclariviere

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Actually, mobo changed those settings itself. It wasn't set to auto, and I'd never touch those voltages. I'd found reassurance reading a budget overclocking guide on tomshardware and found that their board (msi p35 neo2-fr) did the same thing. I even compared their screenshots to my bios and was happy to see that my board had done the same.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Intel-Pentium-Dual-Core-E2140-overclocking,review-29816.html

Look at the screenshots on page 9 and 11.

Also, I believe i've found the solution to what I belived was a problem. Its actually normal for my board to reboot.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=prodfaqanswer&faq_no=1869&prod_no=1261&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=170&cat3_no=

"The system will need to reset first in order to initialize the current CPU and memory clock so that's why the system will reboot itself automatically."

I read up on it, and it only really happens to anyone doing a bit of overclocking.