Bios fsb settings no longer do anything. Help.- Solved

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • Overclocking
  • BIOS
  • Memory
Last response: in Overclocking
December 11, 2008 2:18:13 AM

I'm not 100% on when this started happening, but my bios settings concerning the FSB no longer seem to do anything. It must have happened within a couple days or so, because I was overclocking/testing in Prime this weekend.

I have a GA-P35-S3L revision2 bios version 7 and an e7300.

When my computer booted up today, I noticed the memory frequency was way lower than it should have been. I went into the bios and all the settings looked fine (360fsb, x10multi, 1.43v, memory ratio 2.4). However upon saving the settings and exiting, the frequency was still the same. I went into windows and ran CPU-Z and was surprised to see that my processor was running at stock speeds of 2.6ghz (in the bios I have it overclocked to 3.6ghz). So, the reason the memory frequency was so low was because I had the ratio set to 2.4, and the CPU was only running @ 2.6ghz instead of 3.6ghz.

Another strange thing, if I turn off manual settings and let it default to auto in the bios, it gives me a speed of 1ghz. (100fsbx10multi) However, when I save and exit, it POSTs with the processor's default speed of 2.6ghz. So, it seems no matter what I do, the fsb no longer has an effect in my bios. The voltage settings still work, as CPU-ID detects that I still had it set to 1.4v (the setting that 3.6ghz was stable at) and also when I changed it back to the default 1.2v (since if its going to be running at default speeds, no need to have the V's so high) it detected the change in that.

The memory settings still work, as the frequency changes when I change the memory ratio.

All of this was working fine 3 days ago, and I haven't done anything in the bios since then. The only thing I've installed/uninstalled on my PC within this time period are the latest Nvidia beta video drivers which should have NO effect on my bios.

I thought maybe at first it was something as simple as I had forgot to turn on manual FSB, but such is not the case. My bios settings are exactly the same as from this weekend when I was overclocking.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am probably going to flash the bios unless someone gives me a better idea.

But, I've never heard of anything like this happening and I've been building/overclocking for 7+years, so if I knew the cause of what could make the FSB settings in the bios suddenly be ignored, that would be great so I could avoid having it happen again.

Thanks a bunch!

More about : bios fsb settings longer solved

December 11, 2008 3:08:04 AM

Well, I just flashed my bios to the latest version gigabyte had for my board F8b. It hasn't fixed anything. FSB setting still seems to do nothing. I simply cannot change that clock speed. I'll try lowering the multiplier to see if it truly is just the FSB.

edit:
Yes, changing the multiplier down to 9 from 10 has resulted in a lower clock speed of 2.4ghz. So, the CPU clock speed isn't completely untouchable, just the FSB.
Please help if you have any idea what could be wrong. I thought the bios flash would do the trick. :( 
December 11, 2008 4:21:13 AM

After using some google-fu, I found a thread where people were having the same issue as me. I found a solution to the problem, but I wish I knew more about the problem itself.

Basically, you just deny you computer power. Turn off the switch, unplug it, and hit the power button a few times to drain the charge.

But what exactly does that do that would fix this issue?

Its working fine for now, but I'm really more interested in the problem itself than the solution.
Related resources
a c 351 K Overclocking
a b } Memory
December 11, 2008 10:13:30 AM

crystalklear64 said:
After using some google-fu, I found a thread where people were having the same issue as me. I found a solution to the problem, but I wish I knew more about the problem itself.

Basically, you just deny you computer power. Turn off the switch, unplug it, and hit the power button a few times to drain the charge.

But what exactly does that do that would fix this issue?

Its working fine for now, but I'm really more interested in the problem itself than the solution.

That completely clears the CMOS BIOS settings allowing you to reset them, the M/B was retaining its past settings even though you thought you had cleared them out, some M/Bs are harder to clear out than others, but now that you know your M/Bs particulars about that little inconvenience, it won't be unexpected if you run into it again.

Sorry you didn't get help when you needed it! Ryan
December 11, 2008 2:16:45 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

Its still strange to me that only the FSB wasn't... sticking so to say. When everything else changes and saves just fine, it made me think I had damaged the bus in some way, but not enough to outright fry it.
a c 351 K Overclocking
a b } Memory
December 12, 2008 9:41:13 AM

crystalklear64 said:
Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

Its still strange to me that only the FSB wasn't... sticking so to say. When everything else changes and saves just fine, it made me think I had damaged the bus in some way, but not enough to outright fry it.

That is strange usually the FSB is one setting thats allowed to be manipulated without a complete CMOS clearing to reset it.

Most newer M/B BIOS setups allow partial clearing of the CMOS settings to aid in changing settings for overclocking purposes, by simply killing the power and re-enabling it when the M/B leds lights go out, this give the user the opportunity to reset the settings and try again, a very convenient feature when trial and error OCing.

However to completely clear the CMOS settings, the power normally must be off for all different M/B brands and the CMOS clearing procedure must be followed, [M/B specific steps in manual].

Gigabyte has always been a little different since they sport 2 bios chips, at least the skt939 I have does.
December 27, 2008 1:29:21 PM

wow mine is doin exact same thing asus p5n-d goin to try your fix now see if it works hope it does as i want my chip to get 3gig at least :D 
December 27, 2008 1:36:13 PM

tried and failed :(