Best 23/24" LCD for Photoshop, AutoCAD, GIS, etc.?

kenratboy

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Hello,

I want to ask a very snobby question.

I just bought (and returned) a Samsung 2493HM, because the colors would shift as I moved my head and looked around the screen. The colors at the top of the screen were radically different from those at the bottom. For example, in Paint, I painted a solid orange screen, and with my eyes level with the center of the screen, it transitioned from dark to light orange. My 19" Samsung 930B does not have these issues (I just want the same picture quality...in a 24").

So, instead of being happy with a $450 (TN) LCD, I guess I am going to have to go for the gold and look at some of the hi-end stuff.

Someone mentioned that the 23" Apple Cinema display uses a ULTRA-good version of the IPS technology, which makes it magnificent for graphics arts and other critical work (I will stop by the Apple store tomorrow and look). I have heard good things about the Dell 2408, but that it was not perfect (but a WHOLE lot better than the Samsung I just tried out).

Only condition is I want to keep it under $800. I do play games, but 2D graphics performance comes first.

Please help me. I don't know what I want. If anyone here is a really big snob (I mean that in a good way), please give me some advice.

Thanks!!!

Based on what you are asking for (with the exception of price) I would recommend the NEC LCD2490WUXi. It is simply an awesome LCD monitor that is built around a H-IPS LCD panel (a newer IPS version) and also includes additional electronics to improve image quality. If I wanted a monitor to sit right beside my 26" NEC LCD2690WUXi, this one would probably be it. Or maybe another NEC LCD2690WUXi.

The downside... the price. It costs $1,200 and that's excluding a hardware colorimeter.

Typically with your price limit, you will be stuck with a LCD monitor using a MVA/PVA panel. The one exception is the DoubleSight DS-263N Black 26" 5ms(GTG) which can be bought for $700 + shipping. To the best of my knowledge, it uses the same LCD panel (manufactured by LG-Philips) as the Planar PX2611 (more expensive) and my NEC LCD2690WUXi (even more expensive).

DoubleSight DS-263N Black 26" 5ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor

It's a relatively unknown brandname who may (this is pure speculation) be buying those 26" H-IPS panels (the ones made by LG-Philips are actually 25.5") that did not meet NEC's and Planar's more demanding specifications.

Edited for grammar.

Coolio_alert

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2008
I think the apple monitors have cr*ppy response time though, they are like 14ms and regular responce time is like 2 or 5 ms. also with the apple displays they have 700:1 contrast ratio were most monitors have 3000:1... so for those reasons i dont recommend apple lcds.