Sign in with
Your question

Phenom 9850 - New PC Question

Last response: in CPUs
May 6, 2008 4:47:43 AM

I recently built a new PC for my gf from parts ordered off newegg. The motherboard and CPU were bought in a combo deal, thus I trusted newegg's judgement. However, I also double checked with the manufacturer website to note CPU support, but was slightly mislead, and didn't realize until after I ordered the parts. The motherboard currently paired with the Phenom 9850 is the MSI K9A2 CF-F (not version 2), which had 125W processor support pulled due to some freak mosfet failures. My question is this, should this motherboard be able to last paired with the 9850 clocked down from 2.5ghz to 2.3ghz (Phenom 9600 speed) at stock voltage and the HT link running at 1.8ghz as apposed to 2.0ghz? I also added a few heatsinks to the mosfets, kindof mucked up on the install of those but all mosfets are atleast slightly covered by heatsinks.

Full Specs:
Raidmax 530W Semi-modular power supply
MSI K9A2 CF-F
AMD Phenom 9850
4GB of DDR2-1066 Kingston Hyperx RAM (4x1GB)
LG 20X SATA DVD-RW
250GB Maxtor SATA II HD
Sapphire Radeon 3870
Sigma Zen Case with 1x Rear 120mm Fan, 1x 80mm Side Fan, and 1x PCI-Slot 90mm Exhaust Fan

Thanks,
Nolan

More about : phenom 9850 question

May 7, 2008 3:48:51 AM

It's not a CPU clock issue, the problems with the 9850BE and 9750 125 watt CPU's are voltage related. New AMD and Nvidia chipsets might support the CPU, but the motherboard manufacturer's cut corners on some boards. With older boards designed for 95 watt Phenom's, you'll run into voltage issues that can cause motherboard failure.

I'd return the motherboard and get one that has clear support for the 9850BE, and not just unofficial or at stock clocks. Whether you overclock or not, the 9850BE is sold as an overclocking CPU, so choose your board carefully.

AMD's coming out with 95 watt versions of the 9850 and 9750 later in the year, but I don't know what kind of headroom for overclocking they will have. At any rate, though Newegg customer support is good, I never rely on their bundles alone to determine if a CPU is supported.

Before I buy, I check the motherboard's CPU support list. I've seen cases where CPU's and motherboards are bundled, but the motherboard needs a bios flash to accept the CPU. That's fine if you have a supported CPU to install first, but not that great if you want an easy build where everything works out of the box.
Related resources
May 7, 2008 3:50:46 AM

Im not sure why you are underclocking it?? The MSI K9A2 was designed for AM2+ sockets, and B3 technology. Therefore from my knowledge this motherboard should work just fine, everything stock. Why underclock? Ill check back to see waht other people think. Sorry I wasn't much help.
May 7, 2008 3:58:25 AM

He said support was pulled. It's probably a voltage issue where the board can support B2 and B3 95 watt processors but not B3 125 watt processors. Similar situations happened with 780G boards, with some having unofficial support at stock clocks and others not supporting at all.

I didn't look up his board, but if support was pulled by MSI, then he should return it. The 125 watt B3's pull more amps than the 125 watt Athlon X2's and some boards just aren't manufactured to handle it.

Newegg accepts returns. Even with a restocking fee, it's better to get a board that fully supports the CPU without any issues, whether voltage or bios.

I don't know why he was thinking of underclocking it. If he wanted to keep the board, he'd be better off returning the 125 watt Phenom 9850BE and getting one of the B3 95 watt 9550's. That would work too.
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2008 11:53:00 AM

Send the motherboard back if you want to use the Phenom X4 9850 BE.
Use the MSI K9A2 Platinum motherboard instead.At both AMD's website AND MSI's website the 9850BE is listed as supported.
May 7, 2008 6:34:03 PM

I'm running a Phenom 9850 with the MSI K9A2 CF-F motherboard with no problems. I added heatsinks and a fan to the mosfets. I'm currently running the Phenom at 2.9GHz, so you should be able to run the 9850 at 2.5GHz.
May 7, 2008 9:20:15 PM

Thanks for the replys!

I was under the impression that underclocking the CPU would lower power consumption under full load, that's really the only reason I did that. I would also undervolt it, however the CF-F bios doesnt support a core voltage lower than 1.3V, and the 9850 shows as 1.29 in CPU-Z. I might toy around with it some more, but realisticaly, 2.3GHZ should be fine for my girlfriend in the long run, and if it doesn't fail within 30 days, I think it should be fine. What do you guys think? To be perfectly honest, in my opinion the PWM section of the CF-F board looks beefier than most intel motherboards supporting the latest Quad Extreme processors rated with a 136TDP. I'm kindof thinking MSI was spooked by some freak incidents.

Thanks,
-Nolan
May 8, 2008 1:36:10 AM

Quote:
780G motherboards are also AM2+ and most don't support the Phenom, they just blow up!

Actually, they support the 95 watt Phenom's, including many B3 quad and triple cores. They don't support the 125 watt Phenom's because of voltage issues.

Don't worry, 95 watt 9850's are on the roadmap, but always check the CPU support list before installing. Several other posters here did not and then wondered what was happening.

The 95 watt B3's are fine on 780G boards:

http://products.amd.com/en-us/RecommendedMBResult.aspx?...

If new 780G boards arrive that support the 9850BE, it will either be a redesign that takes in the higher amps needed by the 9850BE or it will support the upcoming 95 watt 9850's and 9750's.

Why they released 125 watt versions is beyond me. I guess they had a target date that they had to meet to please investors?

nolan_strong said:
Thanks for the replys!

I was under the impression that underclocking the CPU would lower power consumption under full load, that's really the only reason I did that. I would also undervolt it, however the CF-F bios doesnt support a core voltage lower than 1.3V, and the 9850 shows as 1.29 in CPU-Z. I might toy around with it some more, but realisticaly, 2.3GHZ should be fine for my girlfriend in the long run, and if it doesn't fail within 30 days, I think it should be fine. What do you guys think? To be perfectly honest, in my opinion the PWM section of the CF-F board looks beefier than most intel motherboards supporting the latest Quad Extreme processors rated with a 136TDP. I'm kindof thinking MSI was spooked by some freak incidents.

Thanks,
-Nolan

I don't know why MSI pulled support, and I wish there were more info on the amps needed, but underclocking a 9850 is like spending more for a 9550's performance. Perhaps they are being cautious in regards to freak issues, or perhaps they released a run of defective boards? You can try asking their tech support.

Here's the list of AMD and Nvidia boards for the 9850BE. People have said that more boards support the 9850BE than this list, but some have unofficial support (ie only at stock, not overclocked) while others are board revisions just becoming available.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/RecommendedMBResult.aspx?...

AMD should update their list as new board revisions add support.

You know, I hate to return things myself, but you have a clear issue with Newegg's bundle, so they might wave the restocking fee and simply replace the board with the Platinum version that does support a 9850BE.

Unless you like to tinker and don't mind it failing down the line? At any rate, do what works best for you. Me, I'd return the board and get a Platinum if I were in your situation. Newegg's turn around time is reasonable.
May 8, 2008 3:16:19 AM

I have the very same board rev.1.0.So far this m-board is solid.granted I'm not running a 9850 but atm my 9500 is at 3 GHZ,whith my hsf noise some what loud (on air).Beyond that ,everything is good.MSI seem not to be the motherboard of choice ,for me its ftw 5-6 yrs and running.Hopefully the Deneb will not be a problem with this board
May 8, 2008 6:07:20 AM

nolan_strong said:
I recently built a new PC for my gf from parts ordered off newegg. The motherboard and CPU were bought in a combo deal, thus I trusted newegg's judgement. However, I also double checked with the manufacturer website to note CPU support, but was slightly mislead, and didn't realize until after I ordered the parts. The motherboard currently paired with the Phenom 9850 is the MSI K9A2 CF-F (not version 2), which had 125W processor support pulled due to some freak mosfet failures. My question is this, should this motherboard be able to last paired with the 9850 clocked down from 2.5ghz to 2.3ghz (Phenom 9600 speed) at stock voltage and the HT link running at 1.8ghz as apposed to 2.0ghz? I also added a few heatsinks to the mosfets, kindof mucked up on the install of those but all mosfets are atleast slightly covered by heatsinks.

Full Specs:
Raidmax 530W Semi-modular power supply
MSI K9A2 CF-F
AMD Phenom 9850
4GB of DDR2-1066 Kingston Hyperx RAM (4x1GB)
LG 20X SATA DVD-RW
250GB Maxtor SATA II HD
Sapphire Radeon 3870
Sigma Zen Case with 1x Rear 120mm Fan, 1x 80mm Side Fan, and 1x PCI-Slot 90mm Exhaust Fan

Thanks,
Nolan

...Number 1, that PSU is barely adequate to fun the system. I know my raidmax rx700 ss hasn't given me any issues, but the lower wattage ones I wouldn't trust.

Number 2, the k9a2 CF-F doesn't support 125w cpu's officially period. It doesn't have enough stages in the PWM area of the board, or they cut corners on the mosfet quality. You may be able to pull it off with no OCing if you have a 120mm rear case fan that pulls heat off the PWM area. I think thats one of the things thats helped me out. I have a 120mm rear case fan that acts as a pull fan for the cpu cooler, which blows right over the PWM area on the k9a2 plat I have. Plus anouther 80mm fan on the side of the case that pulls air out from that area too.

I agree, RMA the board, If they know or you can prove that it's not fully compatible with what it came with, they may not charge you a restocking fee. But, MSI's support has said to absolutely not use 125w cpu's on that board. Honestly spend the extra cash on the k9a2 plat, you won't regret it. Or if you're not going to use Crossfire X, get one of the 780g boards that can handle the cpu.

Number 3, watch out with the 4x1 kits, you may need to up the voltage on the memory modules, or NB/IMC to get it to run stable with 4 dimms.

Number 4 Yes, the NB/IMC, and HTT speed on the 9850 should be 2ghz.

Does that case have a front mount spot for another 120mm fan? If so getting one would be a good idea, to improve airflow. Air in should equal air out. And is that the Toxic/atomic version of the sapphire card? Or is that the blue single slot cooler, or the double slot cooler version? I had nothing but issues with the blue single slot version overheating on me.
!