Sign in with
Your question

pentium 4 + 8800GS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 16, 2008 11:05:39 AM

first of all, sorry that i didn't find an existing topic, everythime i clicked on a thread it didn't exist enymore.

i'm a guy from belgium, don't bother my language, i understand yours.

i found a xfx 8800GS 384mb for 95,83EURO's i know that you are dollardudes but take it as the same value. if you know a 9600GT costs 142,28EURO.

so i can only play on 1280 res and with an 2 years old config. but it's so cheap now!

i use an 8600GT 256mb, but i'm not happy with it, oke it is silent but the performance is pore.

could my pc handle the GS card?

thanks

More about : pentium 8800gs

April 16, 2008 11:21:05 AM

There shouldn't be any problems, but your CPU will bottleneck that GPU, so you would not get FPS as some with modern dual-core CPUs', but you should see improvement over your current GPU.
And 96 Euro is a bargin,so I would buy it.

The 8800gs does not trail a lot behind 9600gt, so i think it's a good price.

Don't know about that PSU,but 600W will be more than enough.

BTW belgian beers are the best ;) .
Related resources
April 16, 2008 11:55:43 AM

just get it.8800gs is the most value 4 money card.as 4 the power supply,a cheap Coolermaster 390W pwers my friends pc with no problems at all.it costs less than a tank of water.
April 16, 2008 12:30:31 PM

thanks for the reply's or replies or something (the anwsers)

i've got a xilence 600Watt psu, sli ready (with the connectors needed for that GS)

i have a second computer with an core2duo 4300 1.8ghz, i don't think i would get better fps on that either with vista on it.

i think i'm going to get it, exept someone gives me a negative post.
i have to remember that when i made that pc the 6800ULTRA was the high end card of that time, but the 8600GT scores better. that's why i'm afraid if my pc will blow up with a much better card!

and yes, belgian beer is the best!!
a c 1363 U Graphics card
April 16, 2008 1:10:41 PM

The 8800GS will be a big upgrade from your current card regardless of CPU.
April 16, 2008 1:17:09 PM

Just a quick question. I was looking to gift one of those from newegg to my bro. I dont live in usa and wud be paying by cashier's cheque. How much do they wait for payment arrival before cancelling the order ??
April 16, 2008 1:22:15 PM

Quote:
i have a second computer with an core2duo 4300 1.8ghz, i don't think i would get better fps on that either with vista on it.

That may not be the case. The Core 2 architecture is more efficient than the Pentium 4 (more IPC or instructions per clock), and not only runs cooler but overlocks much better. The extent to which you can overclock that chip depends on the quality of your motherboard, RAM and PSU.

You'd have two full cores with the latest instruction set support. I'll try and find some more details on this since I spend most of my time using AMD rigs, perhaps some of the the members can help you out in the meantime.

E4300 overclocking: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/01/27/intel-core-2-e...

Whatever the system, I think you made a good choice with that GPU, and you won't be dissapointed with its performance.
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 16, 2008 1:32:03 PM

vochtige said:
first of all, sorry that i didn't find an existing topic, everythime i clicked on a thread it didn't exist enymore.

i'm a guy from belgium, don't bother my language, i understand yours.

i found a xfx 8800GS 384mb for 95,83EURO's i know that you are dollardudes but take it as the same value. if you know a 9600GT costs 142,28EURO.

so i can only play on 1280 res and with an 2 years old config. but it's so cheap now!

i use an 8600GT 256mb, but i'm not happy with it, oke it is silent but the performance is pore.

could my pc handle the GS card?

thanks

That card is good value I would get it but would put it in your other system. Vista isnt that bad and the 4300 will easily give you more FPS than your P4. you cant compare GHZ they are made so differantly even a weaker Core 2 will out perform your P4. Of course we dont know what card is already in that system.
The 8600 isnt a bad match for the P4. Try overclocking the 8600 and see if you get anymore performance.
Mactronix
April 16, 2008 1:52:46 PM

I must agree with wild9.

You'd be better off by pairing the 8800gs with E4300, regardless of Vista. Beside Vista drivers are now mature, so performance vised it's similar to XP (in some segments even better).

At lower resolutions(like 1024, even 1280) the most limiting factor is your CPU(single core P4).
Even if you put 9800GX2 with P4 3.0GHz you would not see almost any benefit over 8800GS because of the CPU limitations.

So i suggest to get the 8800gs, but pair it with E4300, and if you know something about overclocking, overclock the CPU(E4300 of course). Should reach 2.8-3.0GHz without any problem.

That should give you nice boost to your FPS at resolutions you run your monitor.
April 16, 2008 1:53:07 PM

thanks guys!

i compared the c2d against my p4 with my 8600Gt, the c2d scored less with cs stress test. i think it is the fault by vista. yes, i know the 1.8 ghz c2d scores 2 times better than my p4, but i still use that one because it can handle everything i play and use. that c2d is the pc of my parents, and was a real low budget thing, but i think it is good for the money we payed. it is 0.5 years old, and we payed 500 euro's.
the current gpu of that 1.8 c2d is a asus7500le, not quite a good card, but plays bf2142 without aa and high settings (1280 res)

but to stick with my first post, it wouldn't be a good choise to buy a 8800GS into my p4?

i just want to milk out that pc, because it costed me much and still runs fine!
i ones owned a q6600, but compared to this one with xp i didn't see much diffrence. (maybe because i didn't have enough time to test that quadcore.
April 16, 2008 1:59:25 PM

about the overclocking. i tried to put the E4300 into my p5ld2 mobo, but the res didn't correspondend with the c2d res needed. and surplus i couldn't flash bios till the last one, it stuck after a littlebit older version.

the fact that the e4300 is on a msi board, is bad news, and overclocking isn't an option. i can overclock my p4 630 HT until 3.46 stock cooler, but again it is not enought for that 8800GS i guess. i don't want the best fps, but i want to play newer games, and i know if i play at 1024 or 1280 i would get good fps. is see it with cod4. at 1024 and 1280 it is really playable. but newer games i have tested (demo) like crysis the 8600GT the card just sucks when i am in actionscènes.

stick to the 8600GT, or try a little upgrade to an other card? 8800gs best bang for the buck? (like you say)
April 16, 2008 2:03:43 PM

You would benefit from 8800gs, as it is much better card than 8600gt.

I think you should by the 8800gs, regardless of the CPU you will pair it with(e4300 or P4).
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 16, 2008 2:18:48 PM

Eric Tardes said:
You would benefit from 8800gs, as it is much better card than 8600gt.

I think you should by the 8800gs, regardless of the CPU you will pair it with(e4300 or P4).

Yes i have to agree and even though you wont see th efull benefit of the card due to the processor it will still be a good upgrade which will let you use more AA etc.
Its up to you where you put it but it would make sence to me to put the new card in your system as that would be an upgrade and then put the 8600 into the other, if its compatable. The 7500 le is based on a 7300 card so that would be a good upgrade also, At least the 8600 has some DX10 capability (just) and will be better for video playback.
Mactronix
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 16, 2008 2:23:06 PM

vochtige said:

YES! it would. That e4300 will run much better than a P4
April 16, 2008 3:06:51 PM

a quick question guys...does bottleneck occurs at reso 12x10?
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 16, 2008 3:54:50 PM

area61 said:
a quick question guys...does bottleneck occurs at reso 12x10?

I'm not going to go into my whole shpeel like i always do. But bottlenecking is sometimes misinterpreted. Basically if you have a slower CPU the GPU won't perform as well. The better CPU you have the better the GPU can perform and holds it back less. It will still perform well just not as well as it would with better equipment. However once you get to higher performing CPU's the benefits get smaller and smaller.

A resolution would actually be a limiting factor of the video card and memory. That card should perform pretty well at 12x10.
April 16, 2008 4:43:37 PM

hey thanks again for the posts

so if i count it up:

-8800GS would be a better upgrade than the 8600GT
-if i don't bother the lower cpu, it will perform like it could :p 
-96 euro's = not much
-i still can put it in the E4300
-if i look at this link http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=V3K3mQ62WmY it has to work
-i only play max resolution of 1280 with 17inch screen, not planning to buy a bigger screen...

are there raisons for not buying it? i guess i have enough room in my case
April 16, 2008 6:09:18 PM

allthough how big is the xfx8800GS stock clocked one, with 1400ghz

my 8600GT is 7 inches long (18cm) and there is room for 9 inch or 23 cm

can somebody tell me?
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 16, 2008 7:15:50 PM

vochtige said:
hey thanks again for the posts

so if i count it up:

-8800GS would be a better upgrade than the 8600GT
-if i don't bother the lower cpu, it will perform like it could :p 
-96 euro's = not much
-i still can put it in the E4300
-if i look at this link http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=V3K3mQ62WmY it has to work
-i only play max resolution of 1280 with 17inch screen, not planning to buy a bigger screen...

are there raisons for not buying it? i guess i have enough room in my case

Ok i will count it back :) 
- The 8800GS will be a better card and you will see an improvement over the 8600.
- I will give a quick explanation like jay2tall did. Basically the CPU has to do some calculations that the GPU is dependant on to render the images. When you have a quite powerfull GPU and a weaker CPU, (like you will if you put the 8800 in with the P4). Your FPS will be capped by how fast the CPU can supply this info. This does mean that you can use more detail settings, AF/AA etc to increase the picture quality as the GPU will have spare performance due to being capped FPS wise by the weaker CPU.
-Yes its a good price :) 
-Definatly at least try it in the E4300 rig
-That link is a GT you are looking at a GS there is a lot of differance.
-As jay says a resolution can actually cause a restriction, it is possable (not definate) that an increase in res would give a slight indrease.
Mactronix :) 
April 16, 2008 7:47:57 PM

i know of the youtube clip, that's why i should run the GS if that guy could run the GT. i know the p4 is old. but should i try it or leave it. maybe it's a wast of money in an old system. and that last thing about resolution i don't understand. could you explane more plz?
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 16, 2008 8:03:52 PM

vochtige said:
i know of the youtube clip, that's why i should run the GS if that guy could run the GT. i know the p4 is old. but should i try it or leave it. maybe it's a wast of money in an old system. and that last thing about resolution i don't understand. could you explane more plz?

Ok yes i see what you are saying now. yes you are right.

When you have a weak CPU and a quite powerfull GPU as i said already the GPU has some untapped performance. When the GPU is asking the CPU for instructions faster than the CPU can manage thats where the limitation comes in.
Now its possable, Not always but in some systems increasing the resolution gives the GPU more to do, as does increasing the detail level. This effectivly slows down the speed the GPU is asking the CPU to do things at and takes the preasure off of the CPU which can return a small increase in FPS.
As i said its not a given and isnt a massive increase, certainly not enough to go get a bigger screen over.
Mactronix
April 17, 2008 2:24:37 PM

it's 8.5 inches so with the connector i need 9 so i pasts
April 21, 2008 7:12:34 PM

vochtige said:
it's 8.5 inches so with the connector i need 9 so i pasts

Hey all

today i've been to the pc'shop. the friendly guy told me the information i needed. the 8800GS would fit my mobo, i would get better performance but i shouldn't get high qualitiy's like the GT cards.
strangly the guy was fair ( is said it to him, and he said, ''if you bought or not bought something, honesty is the first thing! )

and i concluded that i can upgrade my whole system for only 700 euro's.

c2d Q9300, 4 gigsram, 500gb hdd, asus p5k pro, 8800GTS

haha, so i know for what i'm going to work this big vacation! thanks for the help guys!!
April 24, 2008 2:04:32 PM

happy building. I'll go ahead and tell you now, you won't be able to stop. You'll never stop until you have the most powerful computer in the world, which is never because something new is always coming out. The latest graphics card, faster memory, a new cpu. . .it doesn't stop!!!

Hello, my name is Jeremy, and I'm addicted to upgrading.
April 24, 2008 3:38:39 PM

jeremyrailton said:
happy building. I'll go ahead and tell you now, you won't be able to stop. You'll never stop until you have the most powerful computer in the world, which is never because something new is always coming out. The latest graphics card, faster memory, a new cpu. . .it doesn't stop!!!

Hello, my name is Jeremy, and I'm addicted to upgrading.

hehehe rofl, nice personal touch in your post!

but hey, look at my system: i only upgraded more ram and gpu's. the rest is to expensive :p 

i'm addicted to gpu's
!