Has anyone considered building a Linde Liquid Air Machine?

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I was looking at documents that showed how to build a Linde (from Germany) air liquification machine which could be used instead of purchasing liquid nitrogen for serious overclocking of CPU's and other components.Apparently it does take some work but such an apparatus can be built fairly easily.Of course liquid air by itself could be a fire hazard.
One could distill out the LOX or use LOX for another hobby (amateur rocketry).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_air

http://www.linde.com/international/web/linde/like35lindecom.nsf/docbyalias/page_ch_chronicle_18911934details_1

That would take a phenomenal amount of energy to do, and wouldn't have that much of a gain over something like phase change for 24/7 use. I just don't see the point really. Plus the LOX is a hazard.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I (and many other people) could build one (not too difficult) but I just wanted to mention the idea to others in the forum in case someone else wants to do it instead.Right now I have other projects to do.Yes, a closed system would be all right although it would take quite a large amount of electricity to run a cryogenic phase change machine just to cool PC components to those low temps for a long time.It will however produce far lower temps than ordinary available phase change machines.
However having such an apparatus seems to be more convenient than obtaining and using Liquid Nitrogen on a regular basis.Note the second link was just a diagram of Linde's first Liquid Air apparatus as his later versions were more efficient.

It would definitely get it colder, the reason I don't see much of a gain is that I still don't think that a good, 24/7 stable overclock on that machine would be much higher than one on a current phase change setup.

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
hmm well a good phase cascade can take 300w load at like -100c and idle at -150 any lower and your cpu would cold bug anyway so useing liquid air would simply be too cold.