Gigabyte EP35-DS3R vs. Intel P35DPM

Merdox

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
I'm having some trouble deciding on a mobo for my new computer. The two I have been considering the most are listed below, but I am of course open to any other ideas as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121314
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813128086

Video Card: Single 9800 GTX
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
PSU: PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Fan: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
Memory: 2x2GB DDR2 (800 probably)

I am considering slightly over clocking my gpu (if temperatures allow) but that will probably be it. If you know any other good & reliable mobos please list them. Thanks.

I would pick the Gigabyte, between those two, because it has 8 SATA ports and 4 SATA cables (as opposed to 6 ports and 2 cables). (Of course, if you only need one HDD and one DVD drive you can do with two cables and you've only used two ports, so you don't care.) Also, if you look at newegg ratings, the Gigabyte board is doing much better. OK, maybe I'm biased, because I know nothing about the Intel board but I own a GA-P35C-DS3R and I read lots of reviews about Gigabyte's boards in general.

The Intel board has FireWire, on the other hand. I don't need it, but maybe you do.

Look at the aBit IP35 Pro too.

Very good choices, apart from the MB. The PSU is top quality. Way overkill, but you can reuse it in your next build. It's also quite cheap at newegg these days. The Freezer cooler is not meant for major overclocks, but it's actually better than top performers like the Nirvana for a mild overclock like you're planning.

Merdox

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Cool thanks for the advice :) I've been leaning towards the GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L lately since it's a good reliable mobo for a great price. Anyone else have some advice?

Just be careful with the DS3L, it's only got 4 SATA ports. If you're one of those crazies with 5 hard disks and 2 burners (oops, like me) then you need more ports. Apart from that, yeah, it's fantastic value for the price.