Sign in with
Your question

Win XP install on WD HDD

Last response: in Storage
May 30, 2009 11:59:39 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to install a new WD3200KS in my rig and I'm having some problems. My board is a GA-P35-DS3L which supports SATA II and apparently this hard drive does too according to the WD site.

I did discover that I should enable AHCI and native mode in my BIOS setting. Please let me know if that is not is not the case!

I'm trying to install a fresh copy of XP Pro and of course I got the BSOD and the SATA drives disappeared in the BIOS due to AHCI being enabled.

So I need to copy the Sata drivers from the GB website to a floppy, correct? I poked around the GB site and didn't find them. I do have the CD that came with my mobo. Would it contain the drivers I need? I guess I can check that out now.

Basically I just want to know if I'm going about the right way to install this SATA HDD based on my hardware configurations. BIOS settings, XP SATA drivers, etc.

Thanks!

More about : win install hdd

May 31, 2009 12:19:03 AM

AHCI is supported on Windows Vista operating system only....Set to Disabled

SATA Port0-1 Native Mode.....Disabled

Use SATA 0 or SATA 1 to boot from. In other words plud your HDD into either SATA 0 or SATA 1 on the motherboard

May 31, 2009 12:25:43 AM

Thanks for the quick reply knotknut.

Does this mean I will only be able to run this drive in IDE mode?

I thought Native Mode was supported. At least that is what the mobo manual says.
Related resources
May 31, 2009 12:41:33 AM

It will be running through the SATA Controler.

One of my PC has this board in it. I can go through all the settings with you if need be.
May 31, 2009 12:46:49 AM

Will I take a noticeable performance hit?

Also, I've read many stories today that you still will need the SATA drivers to install XP.
May 31, 2009 12:53:22 AM

This is how to run SATA with Windows XP.
No performance hit.
No Drivers needed to install.
After you install XP insert your motherboard driver disk and install.
!