Web browsers for Palm

July 12, 2004 2:05:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

My Sony Clie comes with a web browser called NetFront v.3.1. It's a piece
of junk! NetFront 3.1 is equivalent to Netscape 4.x and is not recognized
by many websites.

Is there any available web browser for Palm 5.x OS that would work on Sony
Clie?

Thanks for your help!

Mary Jane

More about : web browsers palm

Anonymous
July 12, 2004 6:22:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Which websites are you having problems with? Most likely, you will have
problems with those sites using other Palm browsers. I have not had any
problems loading any website to date with NetFront 3.1. Rarely I get a
connection error, but when I refresh like two or three times, it eventually
works. That probably has to do with the internet connection and not NF3.

I use NetFront 3.1 and tried WebPro 3.5. I was not entirely satisfied with
NF3, but when I tried WebPro, I realized I had something decent. NetFront
blows WebPro out of the water. It is much, much faster on my Sony Clie TJ37.
I tried loading the same websites with WebPro and NF3, and each time NF3 was
faster by at least 3 seconds. Huge!

--

Cheers,
better known as McGrady's cousin

===========================
Vince Carter - Half Man, Half A Season.

"MaryJane" <maryjane@nospam.com> wrote in message
> My Sony Clie comes with a web browser called NetFront v.3.1. It's a piece
> of junk! NetFront 3.1 is equivalent to Netscape 4.x and is not recognized
> by many websites.
>
> Is there any available web browser for Palm 5.x OS that would work on Sony
> Clie?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Mary Jane
July 12, 2004 8:24:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

"better known as McGrady's cousin" <Armani@Giorgio.it> wrote in

> I use NetFront 3.1 and tried WebPro 3.5. I was not entirely satisfied
> with NF3, but when I tried WebPro, I realized I had something decent.
> NetFront blows WebPro out of the water. It is much, much faster on my
> Sony Clie TJ37. I tried loading the same websites with WebPro and NF3,
> and each time NF3 was faster by at least 3 seconds. Huge!

I agree that WebPro 3.5 isn't the best but I am not sure if NF3.1 is any
better. I am not sure which website the original poster had problems with
but for me groups.google.com does not work in post mode. Another site that
didn't work well for my NF3.1 is www.weather.com

Can't wait for a decent up-to-date web browser for Palm OS! NF3.1 has too
many handicaps.
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 2:37:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

In article <Xns9523CD2F62044834asdfd124214123@216.65.98.77>,
MaryJane <maryjane@nospam.com> wrote:

> My Sony Clie comes with a web browser called NetFront v.3.1. It's a piece
> of junk! NetFront 3.1 is equivalent to Netscape 4.x and is not recognized
> by many websites.
>
> Is there any available web browser for Palm 5.x OS that would work on Sony
> Clie?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Mary Jane

Use the NetFront preferences to change your ID, and then you can look
like any browser you want.

NetFront Settings ->
page 4/4 ->
Advanced Settings ->
Change User-Agent

If you wonder over to http://1src.com and search the Forums for
"User-Agent" you will find several threads on how you can change the
agent and different settings that worked for difficult web sites.

Bob Harris
!