Sign in with
Your question

Question about my processor

Last response: in CPUs
May 6, 2008 1:26:46 PM

Need some expertise here. Im planning on upgrading my computer for a new game coming out. Age of Conan. When I ran the "will my system play this game" test I got this:

CPU
Minimum: Pentium 4/Athlon XP or better
You Have: 2 processors running - Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz PASS

CPU Speed
Minimum: 3 GHz
You Have: 2.79 GHz Performance Rated at 4.19 GHz PASS

What is the performance rated? I thought for sure I would have to replace my processor and motherboard but maybe I can punch more cash in the video card? Basically I just need the Performance rated translated for me. Why doesnt a 2.8 run at 2.8 if no overclocking or anything? THX

More about : question processor

a b à CPUs
May 6, 2008 1:43:16 PM

maybe some sort of dualcore compensation thingie, athlon xp is a single core after all... and one would think Age of Conan would properly support dual/quadcores
a c 172 à CPUs
May 6, 2008 2:03:23 PM

CPU Speed
Minimum: 3 GHz
You Have: 2.79 GHz Performance Rated at 4.19 GHz PASS

What is the performance rated? I thought for sure I would have to replace my processor and motherboard but maybe I can punch more cash in the video card? Basically I just need the Performance rated translated for me. Why doesnt a 2.8 run at 2.8 if no overclocking or anything? THX[/quotemsg said:

I suspect that the CPU speed of 3 MHz refers to last generation Pentium 4's. C2D's, although clocked more slowly, have a higher "performance rating" because the architecture is more efficient. And that's what the test is responding to.

Even the Athlon XP's are more efficient, that being the driving force behind the C2D's.
Related resources
a c 123 à CPUs
May 6, 2008 2:22:21 PM

jsc said:
Even the Athlon XP's are more efficient, that being the driving force behind the C2D's.

Say what??? From what I can find Core2 is based off of Core which is bassed off of Pentium M which was based off of the Pentium III Coppermine which was based off of aspects from the Pentium Pro.

SO in a way Core 2 has aspects that predate Atholn XP. Or you can at least explain to me what you mean by this comment.
May 6, 2008 2:32:17 PM

lol, he probably meant that in the days where Intel only had the Pentium Ds VS the Athlons, AMD had the upper hand, by a good buffer.

The Athlon XP is the reason the C2D is so good, Intel needed to come up with something much better, hence the driving force mention.
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2008 2:48:25 PM

I can vouch for the pentium D being a poor chip- 80C on a hot day! WOO!

*sigh*
a c 123 à CPUs
May 6, 2008 3:02:11 PM

dechy said:
lol, he probably meant that in the days where Intel only had the Pentium Ds VS the Athlons, AMD had the upper hand, by a good buffer.

The Athlon XP is the reason the C2D is so good, Intel needed to come up with something much better, hence the driving force mention.

Athlon XP was in competition with Pentium 4 and back then they were equal in performance. Pentium D competed with Athlon 64 X2.

So I think he meant X2 is why C2D is so good as C2D is better than X2.
May 6, 2008 3:03:41 PM

I guess Im jsut trying to figure out what I have under the hood? When i look in Device manager under processor it lists 2 P4 2.8's. My dxdiag says P4 2.8 (2 CPU's). Do I have just have a plain ol P4 2.8? The rating was jsut confusing me. P4 doesnt have a duo cores right?
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2008 3:09:29 PM

You have hyperthreading enabled. It is seen as an additional virtual processor.
a c 123 à CPUs
May 6, 2008 3:23:31 PM

^ is right. You have a Northwood Pentium 4 2.8GHz w/HT probably running on a 800MHz FSB using dual channel DDR. Therefore you have one true 2.8GHz CPU and one 2.8GHz "vritual" i.e. fake CPU.

Could you post a CPU-Z validation link? That would help verify all that.
!