EXPERTS ONLY REPLY.......

tommyboy

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
headline a bit dramatic but i did get your attention...i want to overclock my q6600 cpu up to a modest 3 ghz . my rig consists of a GA-P35C-DS3R ( rev 2.0 bios f12e ), q6600 go version, 4 x 1 gb crucial ballistix 1066, bfg 8600 gts, ocz stealth stream 6oo watt psu , akasa cpu heatsink, 36 gb raptor & western digital 750 gb hard drives .. im after complete settings and voltages for the cpu and ram please to get me to achieve my 3ghz target..THANKS in advance.....

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I'm no expert, but a common sense approach would be to read the guide. Try OC by yourself first. Then ask specific questions regarding your setup.

Plugging in numbers DO NOT WORK.

tommyboy

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
i have tried a couple of settings but i seem to get instability...just hopin someone had a similar setup to mine to be frank .. i have read the guide some time ago and i found it not to helpful then.. to be honest im only wanting to overclock this processor to get a bit more out it before i upgrade to a higher performance intel quad..

Winly

Distinguished
well if the guide doesnt help you. you can search for videos and get a basic idea of what to do. for example in youtube there a lot of videos about OC, try google. but most important try to read the guide again and concentrate in it, that way you learn what to really do and not do.

tommyboy

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
seen the you tube videos but the memory they use seem to 800mhz ram and not the 1066 ballistic im using....

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
+2 for the Holiday Inn Express, lol.

If you have the GO stepping for the q6600 3.0 GHz should be no problem. You probably could even do it without a voltage increase.

Make sure your CPU is not overheating.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008

Is your computer stable without an overclock?
Maybe you just have faulty RAM. Run Memtest86

I'm not going to get into details here because they are also posted in about million other places (such as the overclocking thread) but for a q6600 at 3 GHz, your FSB will be at 333 MHz if you leave your clock multiplier alone (at 9). So you are in no way limited by 1066 MHz RAM

theblade

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Easy way:
Leave RAM at stock settings.
Add 50mV (0.05V) to the stock CPU voltaje.
Set FSB to 1333
Keep an eye on your temps.

Optional:
If you can set the memory speed to 667MHz and adjust (lower) you timings.

May work, but there is no recipe for OC, like dallasjoh said, every system is different.

Winly

Distinguished
well if you see what they do in the video just follow that, but the only thing is that you will try numbers until you get to your limit. ex: if you increase the FSB just do it a little, you know "trial and error" and that way you also learn how to do it. practice makes perfect!, do not increase so dramatically, do it by little

jthorn

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I am no expert but I would repost your question under a new thread using a different title and then the experts will respond.

Sigh..

1) Don't use the Gigabyte EazyTune software, it sux. Make the changes in your BIOS.

2) Set your FSB:RAM ration to 1:1.

3) Increase your CPU and RAM voltages by 0.1v. Make sure to disable any power saving technologies and what not that you aren't going to use.

4) Increase your FSB 10MHz at a time

5) Make sure to manually set your RAM timings, since if you lower the ratio your board my try to shorten the timings thinking that the RAM is going to run at a lower speed. If the board won't boot at those timings it should give you an error beep and then boot up at stock settings. If it does that try putting in longer timings and raise voltages if needed. Don't raise the voltages too far though or you'll break something :D.

6) Boot up and run Prime 95. Also download Everset or some other utility to monitor your Temps. If none of the threads fail after 3 itterations and none of your temperatures are dangerously high then reboot.

7) Reboot, go back to step 4 as necessary :).

mexpedip

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
set everything to "auto" and unlink the memory from the FSB. your 1066 is fast enough to run that cpu at 4GHZ. plus ddr21066 is already OC'd so it is difficult to get more out of the RAM then what is already there.

All anyone can really tell you is to make small adjustments, keep very detailed records (buy a notebook) and hope you have a cpu that can OC without adding too much to the vcore.

when you get your multipier to something that will work (ie: 333x9) or more specifically not work then start making very small adjustments down until it hits the max cpu speed. After you are able to reboot and check your settings start decreasing the vcore until you can't boot again. That's why records are important. After finding max cpu speed and lowest substainable vcore run prime95 and realtemp. I rarely run prime95 for more then 2 hours before I try to "fine tune" again. When you are happy with the results start prime95 and let it go as long as your patience will allow. I would recommend at least 12 hours but that is not a scientific judgement, I just run out of patience.

oh yeah, disable your graphics accelerator for now. It may not be necessary but the point of OC'ing is to push the chip to it's max sustainable frequency. The only way to know you are there is if everything else is running at stock speeds.

greenbrucelee

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
you don't need to be an expert to be able to overclock, just use a bit of caution and common sense. When I was ghoing to 4GHz I knew I was fin upto 3.52 so I did increments for raising the FSB and went up by 10 each time when I thought I was stable I upper the the voltages then I stress tested.