Sign in with
Your question

thoughts on new system.. OVERCLOCKING ADVICE NEEDED!!!

Last response: in Systems
April 6, 2008 5:51:32 PM

ok so I actually made my purchase last night at midnight. Here is the list of items and if you could post your thoughts about overclocking and what I should expect performance wise I would greatly appreciate it.

EVGA nforce 780i SLI board - the one with the 3 sli slots a1 version (whatever that means)

Intel C2D E8400 Wolfdale - heard OC possiblities are wonderful on air cooling (45nm)

Corsair XMS2 DHX 2x2gb Dual Channel PC6400 DDR2 800MHz

Cooler Master CM690 ATX case - heard its great and i like the look better then antec 900

Cooler Master Pro 750w EPS12v/ATX12v SLI ready power supply - rated at 800w peak

EVGA 8800GTS (G92) 512mb pci express 2.0 sli card x2 - this will be my first SLI experience

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 320GB SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD - someone posted that the 7200.11 is 34% faster than 7200.10

Samsung 20x DVD-+R with lightscribe SATA

Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal compound - non conductive so no worries about shorting anything out and wonderful reviews

Xigmatek HDT - s1283 120MM Rifle CPU cooler

Post thoughts please.... how would i first go about overclocking (never overclocked anything before) and what should I expect performance... I play WoW and CS maybe CoD4 if I buy the game .. but those typse of games.. not really a fan of farcry and never played crysis.

Thx
Levi
April 6, 2008 6:32:11 PM

Nice system, very surprised you went with so much for WoW and CS lol..

Honestly, if all you do is play those games OC will not be necessary at all.. Even playing Crysis with everything maxed you'd run more than perfectly with this system.

If you'd like to OC just for fun then read this for CPU OCing..

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overc...

And read this for OC the video cards..

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245841-29-guide-overc...

Haha, seriously dude.. go get some new games so you can even begin to push the systems capabilities. :p 
April 6, 2008 6:40:06 PM

well I know it sounds dumb but my last system I built in 2000 and only upgraded the cpu once, the memory once and the video card once. It is still running and that is what I used to play wow and CS on.

CS source ran at 25fps MAX and thats with setting your settings down ect. WoW I could NEVER go to a raid without turning all names off and turning off all spell effects ect which ruins game experience.

I did play the occasional HL2, Farcry, ect because they provide some form of entertainment but usually only for a short time and then you beat it.

I really wanted this system to push CS source at max fps and to play wow at high res on my samsung 26" (technically 25.5") LCD and keep all the settings maxed out. This is what I am hoping to be able to do with this system.

thanks for the links on CPU overclocking... I really more or less want to do it as a means of prolonging the time inbetween purchasing a new computer. OC instead of buying a new one again in 2 years... but by then we will probably have centa cores (100x) or something like that lol...
Related resources
April 6, 2008 6:54:31 PM

phuzed said:

Even playing Crysis with everything maxed you'd run more than perfectly with this system.

Id beg to differ. :pfff:  :lol: 
April 6, 2008 6:57:12 PM

To the OP, really nice system. I have that same case, and I love it.

The only thing i would change in that build is that PSU. That is a tier 4 :/ 

Other than that, looks good.
April 6, 2008 7:00:20 PM

well I did multiple PSU checks and it said that 700w was enough.. think I might be looking at needing 850 or 1000???

April 6, 2008 7:01:08 PM

also in all my research in building this system.. it completely makes me sick how much dell and all these other places charge for their version of the same thing... just crazy is all
April 6, 2008 7:04:48 PM

Yes, building your own system is much better than the crap dell sells you lol
April 7, 2008 2:37:16 AM

I'm not sure about the 320gb being 34% faster, but I think the 500gb is. Someone want to correct me cause I just want to know even if the OP don't.
April 7, 2008 2:58:13 AM

if what your used to is a computer from the year 2000, I dont think you will need to worry about much. That computer you named will run circles around any game on the market, except for maybe crysis at high detail levels, but you said you wont be playing games like that.

Fact is, what your buying, with the 780i board and 8800gts in sli. Its complete over kill and a waste of money. Save on the sli, buy a cheaper mb and you can use the money to buy a 24 inch monitor or better speakers or heck even a better desk, or chair.

I have had the same system for the last 18 months, really the market hasn't changed at all since then. I can play any game I want to with everything maxed, well except crysis.

I have 8800gts, 2gb same ram, 680i, Corsair 620w PSU 900 gaming case. Quad core q6600.

The Mb is nice but not really worth the extreme cost, sli, isnt supported in all games, and there isnt even really a point unless it is an extremely intensive FPS, you certainly dont need it for hl2 or wow.

As for over clocking, do a good google search and research multiple sources. Asking someone to tell you everything you want to know is just plain lazy, and you wont get any good information anyway, people dont knowwhat you know. I mean after all you said "whatever that means" referring to a component on a very expensive motherboard.

I suggest doing some research, if you already took the dive. unless your very wealthy I would say you prob dont care, but based on the fact the computer you replaced is 8 yearas old, you wont be buying naything else for a long time.

owell, good luck
April 7, 2008 3:19:39 AM

WoW?! That's so funny. A friend of mine just dropped over $1000 on a new build and all he plays is WoW. I went over to his house a month after he put it together and the free Witcher game that came with his graphics card was unopened.
a b K Overclocking
April 7, 2008 3:20:33 AM

SuicideSilence said:
O no, that is more than enough power, but that quality of that PSU is not as good as some. Here is what I would have gotten,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It is much better quality than what you have now. But dont worry that cooler master is good enough.

+1
!