Wireless N not faster than my wired connection?

cwconrad78

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Hi,
I had a wireless G network router that connected at 56mbs wireless and 100mbs if i plugged in with an ethernet cable (i gues smy network card is a 10/100mbs card).

I recently upgraded to a wireless N setup. N Draft Router and Wireless N cards for each of my two computers. They are suppossed to run at 300mbs at optimal range to the router. one pc shows it's at 300 mbs and the other shows that it's at 270mbs. So, both are well above 100mbs which is what the connection speed said when i had both my PCs plugged in directly to the router using the ethernet cable.

My question is this: shouldn't my wireless N at 300mbs be faster running wireless than using my 100mbs ethernet cable cards?

I tested this last night by transfering a 6gigabite file over my network from one PC to the other. when I had the PCs plugged directly into the router using the ethernet cables (100mbs), it would do this in 7 minutes flat! when i disabled the ethernet connection, enabled wireless N and tried to do the file transfer (at wirelss N 270mbs) it took 37 minutes.

WHY? Shouldn't the wireless N at 270mbs be faster than plugging into my router using my ethernet cables at 100mbs?

thanks

sturm

Splendid
300 is the theoretical speed. Real world speeds will be much slower.
Have you tried it with the computers right next to the antenna to make sure there is no other interference?

SizroSpunkmire

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Sorry to be the barer of bad news...but Wireless N is proving to be far less effective then it claims. The boxes all say stuff like 6x the speed and 4x the range of G when real world tests have showed over and over again this isn't true. Range is on a par with G (approx 300ft) and speed is double on a good day.

Secondly, most consumer grade router/switches use a packet forwarding method called Store and Forward. This means they will do a checksum on all frames once they're received before sending them off to their destination. Since the data getting to its destination is more important then how quick it can get there, this adds a slowdown to your transfer speeds. The 300mbps/100mbps/54mbps etc rating you see are assuming the device is not running in this configuration. This is the primary reason these devices never function at the full bandwidth they're advertised as being capable of.

Thirdly when the connection says its connected at 300mbps etc...its usually not true. Its listed that way so the everyday consumer doesn't throw a fit when they realise their connection in reality is half of what they think it is.