explorer.exe won't start

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

when XP starts up can see wallpaper but nothing else.
explorer.exe won't start up. Try starting it from task manager but nothing
happens.
Same thing in safe mode and last known good configuration. Can see wallpaper
but no icons or taskbar or anything else.
Tried scanning for viruses and spyware with Stinger from mcafee but can't
even
open A: where the file is located. Tried starting iexplore.exe but no luck.
What are my other options besides doing repair or reinstall of winxp?
all i want to do is being able to run spyware remover and a virus scan
5 answers Last reply
More about explorer start
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    At start up,tap the F8 key,select safe mode,enter xp as administrator,
    install xp cd,exit the info page,go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:Sfc /Scannow

    "asdf" wrote:

    > when XP starts up can see wallpaper but nothing else.
    > explorer.exe won't start up. Try starting it from task manager but nothing
    > happens.
    > Same thing in safe mode and last known good configuration. Can see wallpaper
    > but no icons or taskbar or anything else.
    > Tried scanning for viruses and spyware with Stinger from mcafee but can't
    > even
    > open A: where the file is located. Tried starting iexplore.exe but no luck.
    > What are my other options besides doing repair or reinstall of winxp?
    > all i want to do is being able to run spyware remover and a virus scan

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In article <7NhJe.14713$_R1.5899@fe11.lga>, "asdf" <asdaf@asdf.com>
    wrote:
    >when XP starts up can see wallpaper but nothing else.
    >explorer.exe won't start up. Try starting it from task manager but nothing
    >happens.
    >Same thing in safe mode and last known good configuration. Can see wallpaper
    >but no icons or taskbar or anything else.
    >Tried scanning for viruses and spyware with Stinger from mcafee but can't
    >even
    >open A: where the file is located. Tried starting iexplore.exe but no luck.
    >What are my other options besides doing repair or reinstall of winxp?
    >all i want to do is being able to run spyware remover and a virus scan

    I've solved the same problem by copying explorer.exe from another
    computer running the same version of XP, using a USB flash drive and
    booting to Safe mode command prompt only.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    From task manager, try typing eventvwr.msc in the run box to see if you can
    find any error messages.

    Clark

    "asdf" <asdaf@asdf.com> wrote in message
    > when XP starts up can see wallpaper but nothing else.
    > explorer.exe won't start up. Try starting it from task manager but nothing
    > happens.
    > Same thing in safe mode and last known good configuration. Can see
    > wallpaper
    > but no icons or taskbar or anything else.
    > Tried scanning for viruses and spyware with Stinger from mcafee but can't
    > even
    > open A: where the file is located. Tried starting iexplore.exe but no
    > luck.
    > What are my other options besides doing repair or reinstall of winxp?
    > all i want to do is being able to run spyware remover and a virus scan

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Do you have a ZA firewall that needs updating (to version 6)?
    A Windows Me computer was barfing last night on bootup, and all it needed was an
    update for ZA.

    "asdf" <asdaf@asdf.com> wrote in message
    > when XP starts up can see wallpaper but nothing else.
    > explorer.exe won't start up. Try starting it from task manager but
    > nothing happens.
    > Same thing in safe mode and last known good configuration. Can see
    > wallpaper but no icons or taskbar or anything else.
    > Tried scanning for viruses and spyware with Stinger from mcafee but
    > can't even
    > open A: where the file is located. Tried starting iexplore.exe but no
    > luck. What are my other options besides doing repair or reinstall of
    > winxp? all i want to do is being able to run spyware remover and a
    > virus scan
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    which folder did you copied it too?
    did you issue command like in cmd window
    cp source destination?

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > In article <7NhJe.14713$_R1.5899@fe11.lga>, "asdf" <asdaf@asdf.com>
    > wrote:
    > >when XP starts up can see wallpaper but nothing else.
    > >explorer.exe won't start up. Try starting it from task manager but
    nothing
    > >happens.
    > >Same thing in safe mode and last known good configuration. Can see
    wallpaper
    > >but no icons or taskbar or anything else.
    > >Tried scanning for viruses and spyware with Stinger from mcafee but can't
    > >even
    > >open A: where the file is located. Tried starting iexplore.exe but no
    luck.
    > >What are my other options besides doing repair or reinstall of winxp?
    > >all i want to do is being able to run spyware remover and a virus scan
    >
    > I've solved the same problem by copying explorer.exe from another
    > computer running the same version of XP, using a USB flash drive and
    > booting to Safe mode command prompt only.
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Microsoft Explorer Windows XP