Maxtor HD recognition issue

asgere

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Maxtor 6Y080L0 80 gig HD, formerly recognized and data stored and transferred, drive letter assigned, no jumper thus seen as slave, now seen but cannot be assigned a drive letter in XP (and no data recognition), recognized as Maxtor 6Y080L0 80 gig HD, seen in BIOS on one machine but not identified by BIOS in another, I'm lost, any suggestions? Jumper configuration is diagrammed on drive, indicates slave is no jumper, I believe that is the way I had it before when I was using it as a second hard drive but I might be mistaken. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It shows a 2 gig logical drive partition and a 72.34 GB healthy partition.

asgere

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

In disk manager, which I assume you mean since I don't know of a memory manager, it does not have, and I can't assign a drive letter. Steve

asgere

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I failed to mention one item, it has an XP OS, so when jumpered as a master it does not allow it to boot. I jumpered it as cable, it comes up as before. Again, it lists it, it does not give it a drive letter, and no options to do anyting but delete the partition.

asgere

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I had bad luck doing that before. I lost most of the data on a hard drive I was trying to put a Linux dual boot on, but it kept the programs I had previously installed, deleting everything that was in my user name except those programs, and only the skeletons of those programs. I have previously done that successfully, multiple times, with XP, but I missed something this time, and I lost much valuable data. I'm trying to capture what I backed up and copied over onto this drive. That's what I find so unusual about being unable to get the data off this hard drive, everything was fine before.