Sign in with
Your question

HDD beeping... Theory

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 1, 2009 12:39:19 AM

Ok now i know hard drives can fail at anytime even if they are new, however i have heard a beeping/sweaking sound from my HDD a few days ago after about 2 months of use. it mainly happens when i log into windows (not during the booting process) and can happen randomly during normal use. I have run check disk and seagate diagnostics tool and both report the drive to be "fine" and aswell computer management says its a "Healthy drive".

My theory; a few weeks ago i moved my PC near a tv aerial socket, i then moved it closer to the socket a couple of days ago to free up some space. When the computer is on i sometimes recieve bad reception from my tv on certain channels, most channels are fine but i still hear the beeping. tonight the signal was terrible so i turned off the computer- the tv signal was fine again. i have moved my pc back a bit so will test it tommorow. but...

Question; if my computer disrupts the tv signal (on some channels)- could the tv signal disrupt my hard drive causing the beeping sound?

I know this is a little far fetched but i really cant be bothered to send the hdd away to recieve a new one... lol

More about : hdd beeping theory

June 5, 2009 4:18:41 AM

I've never heard of hard disks "beeping" nor "sweaking". It's possible though that the wall socket you're using is faulty, causing surges to the TV and your PC.
a b G Storage
June 5, 2009 5:16:40 AM

Did you read the answers to your previous thread?
!