Sign in with
Your question

HDD beeping... Theory

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 1, 2009 12:40:08 AM

Ok now i know hard drives can fail at anytime even if they are new, however i have heard a beeping/sweaking sound from my HDD a few days ago after about 2 months of use. it mainly happens when i log into windows (not during the booting process) and can happen randomly during normal use. I have run check disk and seagate diagnostics tool and both report the drive to be "fine" and aswell computer management says its a "Healthy drive".

My theory; a few weeks ago i moved my PC near a tv aerial socket, i then moved it closer to the socket a couple of days ago to free up some space. When the computer is on i sometimes recieve bad reception from my tv on certain channels, most channels are fine but i still hear the beeping. tonight the signal was terrible so i turned off the computer- the tv signal was fine again. i have moved my pc back a bit so will test it tommorow. but...

Question; if my computer disrupts the tv signal (on some channels)- could the tv signal disrupt my hard drive causing the beeping sound?

I know this is a little far fetched but i really cant be bothered to send the hdd away to recieve a new one... lol

More about : hdd beeping theory

a b G Storage
June 1, 2009 4:49:31 AM

Not likely. Also, how do you know that the hard drive is what is beeping? I don't know of any physical way for the drive to beep, so that is a rather strange thing for you to be hearing.
June 1, 2009 5:14:01 AM

Try a termination cap on that TV outlet. It should at least keep your PC from causing interference on your TV sets.

I've never heard a HDD 'squeak' or 'Beep', and can't imagine a TV system to generate high levels of RF, but strange things happen around RF...
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 2, 2009 6:03:05 PM

ok, well the computers not interfing with the tv anymore. so good news there.

and i have searched on forums and read that a harddrive cant physically beep. I'm trying to pick my brains for a solution because this is my first custom built pc. when i hear the "beep" i say a "beep" but it is a kida high pitched whining sound that goes on and off so sounds like a "beep" i hope that kinda explains it a bit better.

Secondly, whatever the sound is its from inside my case and the only things i can think of is the hdd or graphics card... mind you the sound has seemed to have stopped i'm running 64bit vista and went into bios and changed the hpet mode to 64 bit because it was on 32. i dont know wether this has fixed it.

anyway thanks for your replies. now i have another question...

the power supply i have is a 700watt OCZ stealth extreme- and the plug in the back has been playing up a bit do you think this could have something to do with the sound due to lack of power or something? because the cable in the back of my power supply makes a fizzing sound (lol i bet you love my descriptions) when i move the case or knock it when im adjusting my displays

again thanks for your support
June 2, 2009 7:04:09 PM

Seagate 7200.10 drives often made a "chirp" noise when the temperature of the drive changed, there was a document over on Seagates' web site (lost the link), could this be what you are hearing?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 2, 2009 8:21:03 PM

JustSomeJoe said:
Seagate 7200.10 drives often made a "chirp" noise when the temperature of the drive changed, there was a document over on Seagates' web site (lost the link), could this be what you are hearing?

i got a seagate 7200.12, i had a quick look around at the 7200.10 and it seems like they are reporting clicking seek noises? i did see one person say about a chirping noise on a seagate forum for the 7200.10. as i said the noise mainly happens as i log into windows. since ive been tinkering around i havnt heard it today i think it just wants to make me look dumb infront of friends ive shown.

the main thing is it is really annoying and i dont know if the things broken or what? and all seagate said was too send it back... and if it is normal i dont want to faff about to recieve a replacment that is making the same noise!

thanks for your help
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 2, 2009 8:34:12 PM

im not even sure what it is now but somethings bleeping
June 3, 2009 2:50:34 PM

Specs? Report everything, including the coolers, case, and case fans.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 3, 2009 6:49:39 PM

cooler master cm690 case
osz stealthxtreme 700w psu
gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p mobo
intel core 2 duo e8400
xigmatek cpu cooler hdt s1286
xfx hd4830 gpu
500gb seagate 7200.12 hdd
5x cooler master 120mm fans

i think thats it, no additional soundcard and not over clocked
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 3, 2009 9:07:42 PM

btw i just turned the computer on and it is definately the psu "beeping" not the hard drive...

what should i do???

thanks
!