Recommendation for MB for new system...

AVSexton

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
I would appretiate a MB recommendation for my new system.

Doesn't need SLI/Crossfire
Not going to RAID

I think I'm going with the E8400 Processor (Wolfdale 45nm Dual-Core, factory is 3.0 GHz, I'd like to overclock as safely possible using air cooling)
Going to do 4GB of DDR2 RAM, would like to be able to clock it as high as possible as well. I was initially thinking the Corsair Dominator 1066, but I've had a lot of people tell me getting 800 is a much better bet, and then overclocking it later if I can.

I would like the onboard sound to have the appropriate connections to plug in to my Onyko Receiver, if that is plausible.

I'll list a few, from cheapest to most expensive. You check out the features at newegg, see which one has all you need, OK?

Start with GA-EP35-DS3L.

GA-EP35-DS3R if you think you'll need more than 3 HDD+1 DVD and/or want eSATA.

aBit IP35 Pro if you think you'll need 3 or 4 monitors and/or need FireWire.

If you want Wi-Fi look as Asus P35 motherboards.

If you want PCI-E 2.0 (because you will have a 980GX2 or some future high-end card) then look at GA-EX38-DS4 or Asus P5E or Asus Rampage Formula.

DDR2-800 is usually cheaper than 1066, and some MBs even have a problem with DDR2-1066. Yes, I'd stick with DDR2-800.

vietdeity86

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
I'm in the market for an e8400 also and saw that the price for those mobos come around the DFI one I wanted.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136045

Things I need that he didn't or may not:

Extremely high FSB
Raid capabilty (of course those boards have those)
at least 6 sata ports
good northbridge cooling

(Im taking my 8400 to 4.2ish, picking up a nirvana 120mm heatsink and lapping that and the CPU)

unless you guys htink theres better heatsinks out there? I'm gonna try to find my ****-etsu stuff I used last time for thermal paste, but anyone have anything else on newegg that has PROVEN to be just as good/better? The shin-etsu I got last time was like 20 bucks but worth it.