Blu-Ray up, DVD Down; Time to Adopt on New Builds?

Lavarin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
According to the latest report from Home Media Magazine via Blu-ray.com, the total revenue for BD increased up to 119.47% from same time last year. The report also indicates that DVD took a sizable plunge down by 13.10% year-on-year. This definitely shows that BD is making a sizable impact on DVDs when looking at the inverse ratio.
But then again, this came from blu-ray.com, so BD could be tooting its own horn. Nevertheless, is it worth getting a BD drive now?

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Based on newegg.com cheapest in-stock item:
Blu-Ray Burner $169.99
DVD Burner $23.99

I think unless you have a need for Blu-Ray it still has a ways to go before we hit mainstream in PC's. Plus 119% is impressive, but it is revenue. So that probably includes every PS3, PS3 game, Blu-Ray movie, etc. If you went with stand-alone players/drives by count I think it would be far less impressive than the revenue increase as a percentage.

Essentially (IMHO) a Blu-Ray drive is worth it if you either need to archive large projects to disc, or you want to watch movies in Blu-ray, otherwise you might as well wait for prices to drop.

donpacific2k

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
If you're getting one for the movie-watching capability, go for it. Otherwise, prices are going to be dropping a lot more in the near future as they become more standard. Considering how expensive the discs are for data, I'd rather put the money into a reliable external hard drive.

Numbers don't lie but can be very misleading. I'd bet the recession has a lot more to do with then DVD numbers than Blu-ray stealing maketshare.

TRENDING THREADS