XFX 680I LT edition SLI... any good?

banytoshbot

Distinguished
May 18, 2008
Hi, im still very indecisive about what motherboard to get when i build my comp... i know that SLI hasnt got a very good reputation but something keeeeps drawing me to it.
so just wondering, is the XFX 680I LT edition SLI mobo any good? (will be running a gtx and 4 gig ram and e8400 processor)
thanks for reading

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
half the price of other premium 680i eh? the dual x16 pci-e slots, yum yum :D .. sorry i cant help you out, i just cant help commenting on your thread. actually i fell in love with just the screenies of this mobo :)

live49

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
DO NOT GET THIS MOTHERBOARD.

I have it. It breaks EXTREMELY easy. Most of the time, you won't get a boot screen at start up! Just go to tiger direct and look at the reviews, they are terrible.

Since getting it 3 months ago, I have encountered so many blue screens of death and random shut downs I've stopped counting. The only way I got it working stable was taking out RAM sticks in both the 1 and 2 ram slots. Only the 3 and 4 ram slots work properly. You also have to due many timing/voltage changes to make sure everythings runs stable. This motherboard has crazy default voltages.

You'll be lucky to even get a boot screen, 50% of people that use this, a quad core and 4 gigs of ram get fans spinning with a black screen on start up. You also can't overclock anything with this board. Spend some more money for the non-LT version, or go with an ASUS board.

There's a reason why it's so much cheaper than other 680i nforce boards, you get what you pay for.

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
from what iv heard its just a basic version of the 680i. i have the bfg 680i and i love it. (no sli and no overclocking yet) :). i would get the evga 680i if i were you. its not to much money any more( its come down 50-75$ since i got it). and i have heard that the sli is not as good on the 680i-LT. it like runs at 8x-8x in sli. I THINK. not sure.

HyperZoot

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
There can be problems with any board.

I run this board and have zreo problems for almost 4 months now. My sig will give you the low down on my system. Clocked my Quad to 3.2 right out of the box with nothing but a FSB increase, stock voltages. 4gigs Corsair RAM. Never a boot problem. I cannot comment on SLI as I only run 1 card for now.

The 680i LT DOES NOT run 8x-8x in SLI. It's full x16 both PCI-E in SLI

The differences between 680i and 680i LT are no Triple x16 PCI-E support, No official DDR2-1200 support, though I have had my RAM over 1000 with minimal problems for testing, No Dual Gigabit LAN support,No active cooling. Otherwise it is a 680i board minus some hardware and I will admit a less than stellar BIOS (which can be rectified if extreme OC's are in mind). My overclocks were all on the LT p07 BIOS.

Hope this helps.

G

I have found with many parts not just mobo that it depends on the manufacturer not just the chipset

I run a xfx 680i lt in sli with a quad core several hard drives two dvds in an antec nine hundred case oh and by the way it has six satas on the board of course this requires a psu to support all that otherwise you are going to have more strange errors than you know what to do with

i dont even use a sli psu i have a antec earthpower but it has three 12v rails two 22a and one 25a one of the 22a rails is just for the pie plugs but you dont have to use those unless you are using two really expensive video cards the mobos 12 molex supplement will work just fine and only needs about 11a so you can use the lead for other hardware like dvds all that sli means is that nvidia has tested the product you can compare numbers from the products that they have tested to help decide what is going to work well

anyway i really like my mobo it runs bioshock like a champ with two 8600 gt xxx cards that are factory clocked at 620 mhz core xfx makes a 8600gts xxx that runs a little faster but not much

diddler1979

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
I have the P31 bios on my XFX 680i LT and have my Q6600 overclocked to 3.4Ghz stable.

I dropped the CPU multiplier to 8, put the QDR to 1700 and DDR to 850 and bingo. CPU core voltage runs just below 1.44v and its spot on.

Mobo = XFX 680i LT (flashed with P31 680i Bios)
Ram = 4Gb Corsair Dominator PC-8500
GPU = BFG Geforce 280 GTX OCX SLi
PSU = Coolermaster M700
Sound = X-Fi Fatal1ty

2nd280GTXFitted.jpg

Vantage Score = P21136 3DMarks

:sol:

TRENDING THREADS