Solved

My Hard Disk is growing itself .

My Hard Disk is growing itself , every time i check it , the space just keeps getting lower and lower . This keeps happening only to local disk C:/ where my windows is installed , it seems there's a virus that infected it , I already scanned it but nothing happened , he still kept growing . Around 25 Gb are alredy filled by this "virus" thing
if I can call it that way . I still don't know what to do about it so I decided to contact you cuz I heard you're good in those things . If you would help me I would really appreciate your help.

By the way I have OS : Windows XP SP3.
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hard disk growing
  1. I suspect the "virus" thing consists of System Restore Points.
  2. Ijack said:
    I suspect the "virus" thing consists of System Restore Points.

You mean the "virus" thing is inside System Restore Points ?
    If yes , is there anyway I can remove it and turn my pc back to normal ?
    Anyway thanks for the help ;)
  3. No - I mean there is no virus, just System Restore points occupying the space. Read the link to find out how much space these files are occupying.
  4. So is there any way I can delete those restore points and get my disk space back ?
    And if I'm bothering you , I'm very very sorry but all I need is to repair my pc.
  5. Ijack said:
    No - I mean there is no virus, just System Restore points occupying the space. Read the link to find out how much space these files are occupying.

I just did the disk cleanup and cleaned all of the restore points, that just saved me about 1Gb , but there are still about 20Gb or more occupied by nothing .
    And I dont think those restore points could fill 20gb. There should be something else.
  6. Best answer
    Your best bet is to download something like WinDirStat to find out what files are taking up the additional space.
  7. Ijack said:
    Your best bet is to download something like WinDirStat to find out what files are taking up the additional space.

I just downloaded the WinDirStat and saw what is occuping my disk space , the most are :
    Documents and Settings - 13.5 Gb
    Program Files - 3.8 Gb
    WINDOWS - 1.5
    <Files> - 1.5
    overall - 20.7 Gb
    I opened this <Files> thing and there was "pagefile.sys" who had 1.5 Gb , is it some risky thing or its just OK ?
  8. gezimd said:
    I just downloaded the WinDirStat and saw what is occuping my disk space , the most are :
    Documents and Settings - 13.5 Gb
    Program Files - 3.8 Gb
    WINDOWS - 1.5
    <Files> - 1.5
    overall - 20.7 Gb
    I opened this <Files> thing and there was "pagefile.sys" who had 1.5 Gb , is it some risky thing or its just OK ?

The "pagefile.sys" is the system swap file, it must stay.
  9. Thank you all for everything especially you ijack , from your help I was able to solve this problem . Thanks a lot .
  10. if you dont mind, for our knowledge, what was the solution to the problem?
  11. gezimd said:
    Thank you all for everything especially you ijack , from your help I was able to solve this problem . Thanks a lot .

Click the "Best Answer" button at the bottom of his post to really say thank you.
  12. Best answer selected by gezimd.
  13. gezimd said:
    Best answer selected by gezimd.
    Yes! credit where it is due.
    nA tip of the hat, and have a nice day. :)

n
  14. lazyperson17 said:
    if you dont mind, for our knowledge, what was the solution to the problem?

I cleaned the old system restore points , that saved me about 1Gb or more , plus the windirstat , helped me see what really was occupying my disc space
    then i realized about some things that were not viruses but things i installed in the past , bot still when i check my disk space time after time it keeps lowering
    but after some seconds it turns back how it was , i really don't know why is that happening , but i don't care as long as it turns back how it was .
    So by my opinion that was the thing that solved it , i mean i don't have to think anymore i have a virus on my pc or something .

Maybe i wrote a long text but i just wanted to be more detailed , hope you understood . Thanks for the help again :D
  15. run disk cleanup, check all the boxes possible, and see what happens.
    start>all programs>accessories>system tools>disk cleanup
  16. its probably hibernation files...
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Virus Hard Drives Windows XP