My Hard Disk is growing itself .

gezimd

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
My Hard Disk is growing itself , every time i check it , the space just keeps getting lower and lower . This keeps happening only to local disk C:/ where my windows is installed , it seems there's a virus that infected it , I already scanned it but nothing happened , he still kept growing . Around 25 Gb are alredy filled by this "virus" thing
if I can call it that way . I still don't know what to do about it so I decided to contact you cuz I heard you're good in those things . If you would help me I would really appreciate your help.

By the way I have OS : Windows XP SP3.

gezimd

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
So is there any way I can delete those restore points and get my disk space back ?
And if I'm bothering you , I'm very very sorry but all I need is to repair my pc.

gezimd

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

I just did the disk cleanup and cleaned all of the restore points, that just saved me about 1Gb , but there are still about 20Gb or more occupied by nothing .
And I dont think those restore points could fill 20gb. There should be something else.

gezimd

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

I just downloaded the WinDirStat and saw what is occuping my disk space , the most are :
Documents and Settings - 13.5 Gb
Program Files - 3.8 Gb
WINDOWS - 1.5
<Files> - 1.5
overall - 20.7 Gb
I opened this <Files> thing and there was "pagefile.sys" who had 1.5 Gb , is it some risky thing or its just OK ?

The "pagefile.sys" is the system swap file, it must stay.

gezimd

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

I cleaned the old system restore points , that saved me about 1Gb or more , plus the windirstat , helped me see what really was occupying my disc space
then i realized about some things that were not viruses but things i installed in the past , bot still when i check my disk space time after time it keeps lowering
but after some seconds it turns back how it was , i really don't know why is that happening , but i don't care as long as it turns back how it was .
So by my opinion that was the thing that solved it , i mean i don't have to think anymore i have a virus on my pc or something .

Maybe i wrote a long text but i just wanted to be more detailed , hope you understood . Thanks for the help again :D