Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

My Hard Disk is growing itself .

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 11, 2010 4:50:03 PM

My Hard Disk is growing itself , every time i check it , the space just keeps getting lower and lower . This keeps happening only to local disk C:/ where my windows is installed , it seems there's a virus that infected it , I already scanned it but nothing happened , he still kept growing . Around 25 Gb are alredy filled by this "virus" thing
if I can call it that way . I still don't know what to do about it so I decided to contact you cuz I heard you're good in those things . If you would help me I would really appreciate your help.

By the way I have OS : Windows XP SP3.

More about : hard disk growing

August 11, 2010 4:59:32 PM

Ijack said:
I suspect the "virus" thing consists of System Restore Points.


You mean the "virus" thing is inside System Restore Points ?
If yes , is there anyway I can remove it and turn my pc back to normal ?
Anyway thanks for the help ;) 
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
August 11, 2010 5:04:55 PM

No - I mean there is no virus, just System Restore points occupying the space. Read the link to find out how much space these files are occupying.
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 5:12:14 PM

So is there any way I can delete those restore points and get my disk space back ?
And if I'm bothering you , I'm very very sorry but all I need is to repair my pc.
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 5:36:09 PM

Ijack said:
No - I mean there is no virus, just System Restore points occupying the space. Read the link to find out how much space these files are occupying.

I just did the disk cleanup and cleaned all of the restore points, that just saved me about 1Gb , but there are still about 20Gb or more occupied by nothing .
And I dont think those restore points could fill 20gb. There should be something else.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 8 Security
August 11, 2010 5:42:46 PM

Your best bet is to download something like WinDirStat to find out what files are taking up the additional space.
Share
August 11, 2010 5:55:49 PM

Ijack said:
Your best bet is to download something like WinDirStat to find out what files are taking up the additional space.


I just downloaded the WinDirStat and saw what is occuping my disk space , the most are :
Documents and Settings - 13.5 Gb
Program Files - 3.8 Gb
WINDOWS - 1.5
<Files> - 1.5
overall - 20.7 Gb
I opened this <Files> thing and there was "pagefile.sys" who had 1.5 Gb , is it some risky thing or its just OK ?
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
August 11, 2010 7:04:50 PM

gezimd said:
I just downloaded the WinDirStat and saw what is occuping my disk space , the most are :
Documents and Settings - 13.5 Gb
Program Files - 3.8 Gb
WINDOWS - 1.5
<Files> - 1.5
overall - 20.7 Gb
I opened this <Files> thing and there was "pagefile.sys" who had 1.5 Gb , is it some risky thing or its just OK ?



The "pagefile.sys" is the system swap file, it must stay.
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 7:07:28 PM

Thank you all for everything especially you ijack , from your help I was able to solve this problem . Thanks a lot .
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 7:10:21 PM

if you dont mind, for our knowledge, what was the solution to the problem?
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
August 11, 2010 7:10:50 PM

gezimd said:
Thank you all for everything especially you ijack , from your help I was able to solve this problem . Thanks a lot .


Click the "Best Answer" button at the bottom of his post to really say thank you.
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 7:12:06 PM

Best answer selected by gezimd.
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
August 11, 2010 7:15:11 PM

gezimd said:
Best answer selected by gezimd.
Yes! credit where it is due.
nA tip of the hat, and have a nice day. :) 

n
m
0
l
August 11, 2010 7:18:21 PM

lazyperson17 said:
if you dont mind, for our knowledge, what was the solution to the problem?

I cleaned the old system restore points , that saved me about 1Gb or more , plus the windirstat , helped me see what really was occupying my disc space
then i realized about some things that were not viruses but things i installed in the past , bot still when i check my disk space time after time it keeps lowering
but after some seconds it turns back how it was , i really don't know why is that happening , but i don't care as long as it turns back how it was .
So by my opinion that was the thing that solved it , i mean i don't have to think anymore i have a virus on my pc or something .

Maybe i wrote a long text but i just wanted to be more detailed , hope you understood . Thanks for the help again :D 
m
0
l
August 14, 2010 12:55:06 AM

run disk cleanup, check all the boxes possible, and see what happens.
start>all programs>accessories>system tools>disk cleanup
m
0
l
August 14, 2010 12:55:26 AM

its probably hibernation files...
m
0
l
!