Sign in with
Your question

P5K Premium WiFi-A/P: How do I configure eSATA?

Tags:
  • Asus
  • SATA
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
May 28, 2008 10:01:50 PM

I have hooked up a 750GB SATA II drive through the eSATA port on the back of this motherboard. I didn't install XP with AHCI support, so I'm running the SATA ports in IDE mode. Even so, XP sees the external SATA drive just fine. But when I wanted to check the S.M.A.R.T. data for this drive, my S.M.A.R.T.-software said the drive does not support S.M.A.R.T. I figured I had to enable S.M.A.R.T. in the BIOS (like I needed to do for my internal SATA drives) so I rebooted and entered the BIOS. Then I noticed the drive isn't detected in the BIOS, but at a later stage when the JMicron controller is started.

But how can I configure the eSATA drive then? How can I enable S.M.A.R.T. for this drive? Also, the manual states that I can boot from a hard drive connected to the eSATA port. But how (since the manual does not explain how)?

More about : p5k premium wifi configure esata

May 28, 2008 10:29:13 PM

Ok, I figured out how to boot from the eSATA drive (I overlooked it in the BIOS). The question remains how to enable S.M.A.R.T. for the eSATA drive.
May 29, 2008 11:25:19 AM

Quote:
> The question remains how to enable S.M.A.R.T. for the eSATA drive.

There should be a driver for the JMicron controller
on your motherboard's Support CD.

If your eSATA port is controlled by the JMicron controller,
then you should definitely install the device driver
for that controller that is found on the Support CD.

The driver was already installed.

Also RTFM (Read The Fine Manual -- not always "Fine" however). said:
Also RTFM (Read The Fine Manual -- not always "Fine" however).

I assume that was tongue in cheek, since as could be deducted from my message, I already RTFM and it did not mention how to enable SMART for the JMicron controller - or I wouldn't have asked.

Anyway, I figured it out already. Turns out it disables SMART if the controller is in IDE mode. I had to install AHCI support in XP and switch the controller to AHCI mode. That did the trick.
!