Sign in with
Your question

How do i rearrange start programs

Last response: in Windows XP
August 11, 2010 5:18:11 PM

Hello, I used to be able to click START, PROGRAMS, and right click and could put them in alpha order. In XP, I can't do that. Can someone tell me how to accomplish that another way? Thank you.

More about : rearrange start programs

August 11, 2010 6:57:30 PM

Start>Taskbar and Start Menu>Customize>Sort

or...

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Taskbar and Start Menu>Customize>Sort

m
l
August 18, 2010 8:47:30 PM

thank you, but this only displays about 5 programs under the Start Menu. When I click Start, Programs, there's about 30! What am i doing wrong? Why does it insist on putting Internet Explorer, Adobe Reader, Windows Media Player and Windows Movie Maker at the bottom of an Alphabetical list of the others? Can't I put those in with the rest of the programs? thanks for any help. I know this is a minor problem.
m
l
Related resources
August 18, 2010 9:05:12 PM

The sort function puts folders first, alphabetical, then programs, alphabetical.

You can click and drag them one at a time to wherever you like them to be in the order (folders or programs).

If it is the actual programs in the Start menu bar, (without clicking "All Programs") just click and drag where you want them in order.

You can also drag any program you like into the actual start menu from the list of all programs.
m
l
August 20, 2010 2:20:59 PM

cashTOMS said:
Hello, I used to be able to click START, PROGRAMS, and right click and could put them in alpha order. In XP, I can't do that. Can someone tell me how to accomplish that another way? Thank you.

I could have sworn I answered this question a few weeks ago. Expand the Programs menu, right click there, you will see a sort by name option.
m
l
August 20, 2010 5:38:19 PM

hang-the-9 said:
I could have sworn I answered this question a few weeks ago. Expand the Programs menu, right click there, you will see a sort by name option.

Yes, you did already answer this topic. There have been a few people recently that just keep coming back for more on the same question. I won't answer any more problems of getting an Astra 4100 driver for example.

Not to piggy-back someone else's problem, but I don't have that sort feature either.

The sort method I described works, as does the drag-to-where-you-want-them in the order they appear.

I run in the "Classic" desktop mode so maybe that has something to do with the difference between mine and yours. The OP hasn't been back, so maybe they're satisfied with dragging to get things where they want them.

m
l
August 20, 2010 7:45:29 PM

You won't see that option if you click on Programs, but if you expand that to see the actual program list, right-click on that, you will see the sort by name option. It's in every XP machine I looked at.
m
l
August 22, 2010 8:45:23 AM

hang-the-9 said:
You won't see that option if you click on Programs, but if you expand that to see the actual program list, right-click on that, you will see the sort by name option. It's in every XP machine I looked at.

+1

Dang... There it is. Hidden rather well in a list, just where one might expect to find it.
m
l
!