Sign in with
Your question

skulltrail RAM quesion..very confused

Last response: in Motherboards
May 28, 2008 10:37:13 PM

Hi all
I am a first time builder and have been looking at my options

i have decided to go for a quad core xeon system

ive looked at motherboards and all of them are ecc.. but since im going to be using it for computer animation i wanted to go for NON ECC

i found the skulltrail mother board and looking at the specs it says (the only reason i considered it is that it says it takes Non ECC RAM)

Four Fully Buffered DIMM (FBDIMM) DDR2 Module sockets Support for FBDIMM DDR2 800MHz, 667 MHz, DIMMs
- Support for ECC and non-ECC memory

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB...

now after looking at RAM.. most Non ECC ram isnt Fully buffered..(I may be wrong)

so the question is, can it take DIMM

or is it striclt FBDIMM

and if it is FBDIMM.. where can i get some dual channel non ecc Fully buffered RAM

also if RAM sticks do not mention they are Dual or quad channel does it mean they are not.. or do most RAM sticks come with this feature as standard
May 28, 2008 11:35:03 PM

I'd say that it doesn't support DIMMs, only FBDIMMs, where to get them beats me.

And if I'm not mistaken, dual (or quad) channel is a motherboard feature and not a RAM feature, mening it gets supported if your mobo supports it (again, could be dead wrong here)
May 29, 2008 12:25:28 AM

very confusing

even when you look at the specs, right at the end it says DIMMS.. maybe as a newbie to this , they may mean something else

also i say another message board where some one said he used dimms
http://www.maxforums.org/thread.aspx?TID=509624&P=1
Related resources
May 29, 2008 4:30:05 AM

It states quite clearly that the board only uses FB-DIMMS, either 667 or 800. Although in theory it can use non ECC memory, good luck trying to find it. Only stuff I could find was all ECC.
DIMM is a generic term - Dual Inline Memory Module. There are many different kinds of DIMMs.
May 29, 2008 11:30:20 AM

yeah your right

its really strange though

they make it NON ECC but most NON ECC is not FBDIMM

the ones i have seen are rubbish, high latency, low speeds and only 1 and 2 GB sticks

i heard kingston are going to release some hyper x ram for the skull trail but i cant wait that long

the onlt option is to go for a cheaper server mother board and buy some more expensive ECC RAM

im guessing they may be losing a few sales because of this

anyone got good suggestions for

Non ECC FBDIMM RAM 800MHZ

and are 4 sticks of 2 GB RAM better than 2 sticks of 4 GB RAM??
!