Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I think I just killed my video card... Bad flash. Very. Bad.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2008 7:28:04 AM

I just tried to change my Radeon HD 2900 Pro BIOS using this guide (http://nickfire.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content...), but afterwards the screen is really corrupted with pixels all over the place and colorful stripes on screen. When I boot into Windows (XP) it just says that it can't use the new hardware correctly. I't really a mess and I damn myself for my greed. :( 

I've tried to change back to an original HD 2900 Pro BIOS I downloaded online (I forgot to make a backup...) but the screen is still a mess and Windows still won't use the "new" hardware - which makes me believe the card went broke by the BIOS switch... somehow. I'm going out shopping this afternoon and I just want some input wether its fixable or not so I know if I should buy a new one (which would suck since the card's only a week old) today.

So, are BIOS failures like these fixable or has it rendered the card useless?
April 17, 2008 7:43:07 AM

You'll probably have to send the card back if it's covered under warranty. I had a bad bios flash on an MSI Nvidia 405 chipset motherboard due to MSI's own utility not identifying the right chipset, so it installed the wrong bios when I clicked "yes" to continue. They replaced the board within weeks and it's now in a friend's system. I'd just contact the card's manufacturer and tell them it's stopped working and ask for an RMA.
April 17, 2008 8:16:36 AM

yipsl said:
You'll probably have to send the card back if it's covered under warranty. I had a bad bios flash on an MSI Nvidia 405 chipset motherboard due to MSI's own utility not identifying the right chipset, so it installed the wrong bios when I clicked "yes" to continue. They replaced the board within weeks and it's now in a friend's system. I'd just contact the card's manufacturer and tell them it's stopped working and ask for an RMA.

Hmm, so the store won't notice the card is flash fried? The store is just a couple of miles away, but it would be extremely awkward to demand a replacement when the failure is my own fault and they know it. If here's no way for them to see that, however...

But I would rather fix it myself. The thing is I got picture (with a LOT of corruption however) while every other "bad GPU flash" I've seen posted on the net don't, theirs are just blank screens. That's not very reassuring since it's makes me think the card's a goner. :(  Don't know how, though...
Related resources
April 17, 2008 10:21:40 AM

I admit, I never wanted to flash a GPU bios. MSI's utility would have flashed the GPU if it had flashed the motherboard correctly. It scans for MSI devices and checks for a new bios, so it was their fault in my case; except inasmuch as I clicked "yes" without doing a backup (which I've always done manually).

Did you make a backup in any case? Bios flash failures can be recovered if you have a USB drive or an old fashioned floppy with the old bios. If you get corruption on the post screen, and you don't have removable media chosen as the first boot device, then you won't be able to go into the motherboard's bios screen to select it.

I wish someone with experience flashing a motherboard bios would answer this thread. Yes, I've usually heard of blank screens too, but I can't see the bios flash working and you getting corruption, unless it worked but it's the wrong bios? Perhaps that's it?
April 17, 2008 10:53:08 AM

yipsl said:
Did you make a backup in any case? Bios flash failures can be recovered if you have a USB drive or an old fashioned floppy with the old bios. If you get corruption on the post screen, and you don't have removable media chosen as the first boot device, then you won't be able to go into the motherboard's bios screen to select it.

I wish someone with experience flashing a motherboard bios would answer this thread. Yes, I've usually heard of blank screens too, but I can't see the bios flash working and you getting corruption, unless it worked but it's the wrong bios? Perhaps that's it?

No, I was dumb enough to just follow that guide blindly and since this was the first bios flash in my life I didn't know good enough to back up the original bios. I don't blame them, of course. I get corruption from the second the monitor turns on, right at the MSI mobo boot screen but I can still access mobo bios and change boot order and the alike since I remember what keys to push. I've downloaded several bios' that match my GPU (Sapphire HD 2900 PRO 512MB), put them on my USB stick and flashed every one of them but nothing worked, the picture is still a damn mess.

And I'm pretty certain that the bios I first flashed (the XT one) were supposed to work - everyone's seems to do it with their HD 2900's without any problem at all. Oh well. I'm rather certain the card is permanently broken at this point so I'm getting out to buy a new one within an hour, returning this one in hope for a refund. If I don't get it it's just a hundred bucks lost and not really a big deal... And I've learned to Always. Back. Up. No matter what. Grr. :pfff: 

Thanks a million for your help anyway, it's greatly appreciated! :hello: 
April 17, 2008 1:26:49 PM

Most brick and mortar stores won't hassle you about bringing it back if you keep your receipt and it falls within their return window. I've purchased cards from Best Buy as a holdover till the one I ordered from Newegg came in and then promptly returned it to the store. Shady I know, but I'm not exactly what you call "patient".
a c 273 U Graphics card
November 27, 2009 1:34:35 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!