Sign in with
Your question

Assasin creed using DX10.1 and hd3870x2 benifits

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2008 12:33:06 PM

The assassin's creed Box and Manual doesn't state Direct X 10.1 it says 10. So I doubt that it has 10.1.

If it did, it would be everywhere and all the sites would be talking about it. No other site has anything to say about this. I'd rather wait and see if other sites catch on to this!

but cool link!
April 17, 2008 12:43:04 PM

its time to switch to vista sp1......so fast??????
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 17, 2008 12:59:33 PM

Interesting if it's true....
Especially as there was no fanfair on release...
April 17, 2008 1:32:22 PM

I might actually get the game now. The tip of changing the executable name was pretty good too.
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2008 3:42:17 PM

L1qu1d said:
The assassin's creed Box and Manual doesn't state Direct X 10.1 it says 10. So I doubt that it has 10.1.

If it did, it would be everywhere and all the sites would be talking about it. No other site has anything to say about this. I'd rather wait and see if other sites catch on to this!

Might that have something to do with the game appearing on this list ? :whistle:  ;
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_twimtbp_gameslist.htm...

Like the HDR+AA issue in Oblivion sometimes the box & manual doesn't tell the whole story.

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of it.
For now hopefully this gets other sites looking at this more closely and maybe doing more extensive tests (would love if they included a Chrome 430 too [:thegreatgrapeape:6] ).

Marv also posted the screeny of the benefits in the other thread here.
April 17, 2008 4:03:07 PM

I was totally poopooing on that analysis before I saw the screenshots comparing SP1 and no SP1.

With SP1:
Without SP1:

The performance enhancements from SP1 could be attributed to other things, but those screenies speak for themselves. Go DX10.1! :bounce: 

It may also be worth noting that Nvidia's cards may not benefit so much from DX10.1 (if they were capable of running it) due to their more fixed function AA hardware. R600/RV670 does AA in the shaders, which is a more flexible but (at least until now) slower implementation...
April 17, 2008 4:11:48 PM

Now I have another reason for liking my 3870 card, a real DX10.1 usage, rather than just some theoretical possibility. I wonder how many other new games are/will be benefiting from this and/or not advertising it because of Nvidia ties?
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2008 4:29:38 PM

I just have to post this one more time http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/03/03/optimi... I look at the current situation in PC hardware, and find AMD has had it bad, so too has ATI, both before and of course after the acquisition. This has hurt our ability to reap from the benefits of competition, as in, ATI makes cards DX10.1 compliant and has the floor beneath them removed, and suffers for it. If this is true, theres a lil vindication coming to ATI/AMD. And if so, nVidia better quit worrying about how they can make their umpteenth iteration from the G80 and get on board asap for DX10.1
April 17, 2008 4:34:42 PM

Wow... Something suddenly pops up in the 9600gt vs 3870 war...
Cool..
April 17, 2008 5:38:05 PM

Now we need a head to head comparison between the 9600GT and the 3870 with AA enabled. I'm especially interested in the image quality differences, if there are any...
April 17, 2008 5:51:31 PM

As an AMD fanboi I 2nd that.I think something Nvidia should have been tested for validation of picture quality to show a difference.
April 17, 2008 7:15:38 PM

Thats all very nice but for me the main thing is getting enough fps at native resolution. I'm not an Nvidia or Ati fanboy but Nvidia is faster with current games. It might be because the have more influence in the gaming industry but it's still a fact. AA is very nice if you have enough fps to begin with.
But for me the important thing is to get >40fps in games like crysis, than being able to play some games with better AA. In a fast games it seems a bit pointless.
But I must admit it sounds very nice, I hope it works with other games soon.
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2008 2:57:00 AM

This is going to soon be resolved (hopefully) amid aot of controversy. Rage is soon to post a follow up, explaining a few things. If this turns out to be correct, then the value of the newer ATI cards have gone up, being that increased performance for same dollar. Hardware AA is the past, and if this is true, a great future at DX10.1 is upon us. Imagine 4x AA with very little hit on fps
April 21, 2008 3:04:27 AM

as promising as it looks,wonder why the other sites havent catchup with this yet??
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2008 3:09:38 AM

Maybe timing, or like I said, too much controversy. Currently, theres been a posting by the game devs that the DX10.1 will have to be remover in a patch because of rendering issues, but so far, no ones been able to detect any differences, which then implies since its a nVidia TWIMTBP game, leaves one wondering whether this is being done only because nVidia doesnt have any current DX10.1 cards out.
April 21, 2008 4:10:45 AM

Yep, AA in the ROP/RBE is going the way of the dodo. Doing it in the shaders may be slow in older engines (as we have already seen), but in the long run the pros should outweigh the cons.

I do think that TWIMTBP combined with Nvidia's lack of DX10.1 compliance is limiting what developers can do, but it's hard to complain when I own an 8800GT :kaola: 
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2008 4:19:13 AM

I own a GTS too, but sure wish it was DX10.1 heheh
April 21, 2008 4:57:56 AM

Well...put DX10.1 right below GDDR4 on the NV wish list.
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2008 5:04:20 AM

True, but theres always GDDR5, and thats coming soon. Wonder if Larrabee will have it by then heheh
April 21, 2008 1:41:11 PM

SpinachEater said:
Well...put DX10.1 right below GDDR4 on the NV wish list.

From what I've been told if they get GDDR4 working then it shouldn't be much of a stretch to get GDDR5 going as well. The whole issue has something to do with wire trace noise interfering with high frequency operation, but that's going out of my range :( 
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2008 6:32:57 PM

Youre right on that. But GDDR5 wont have the same problem
April 21, 2008 6:50:36 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Youre right on that. But GDDR5 wont have the same problem

Ahh, well that would explain Nvidia's skipping GDDR4 then. I wonder though, why doesn't GDDR5 have this issue?
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2008 8:56:22 PM

At this point, and this isnt cemented for sure true fact, that not only does the ATI cards do better in DX10.1, but the nVidia cards do worse. And, besides the fact that ACs devs has said SLI and CF wont work that well in the game, and that its more cpu limited than gpu, using the unpatched, changed ini, that CF is comparable to SLI, using the X2 vs the 8800GT. So you see scaling in CF, but not in SLI. This just may turn out to be something really bad for the green team
April 21, 2008 10:45:50 PM

I'm a little bit confused right now :??: 
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2008 11:03:19 PM

Did you check out my link? Im speaking about that. Or...?
April 21, 2008 11:47:50 PM

homerdog said:
Yep, AA in the ROP/RBE is going the way of the dodo. Doing it in the shaders may be slow in older engines (as we have already seen), but in the long run the pros should outweigh the cons.

I do think that TWIMTBP combined with Nvidia's lack of DX10.1 compliance is limiting what developers can do, but it's hard to complain when I own an 8800GT :kaola: 

so what when Intel bought out their Larrabee and the all in one solution that meant to take out both AMD and Nvidia!AAin ROP/RBE is not the way to go by the look of Intel!i really doubt AMD is gonna last very long by the look of it!
April 22, 2008 1:43:55 AM

*Knock on Wood*

You better hope they stay! I dont feel like explaining why they shouldn't get out of the fight:) 

April 22, 2008 3:00:04 AM

lol i have read alot about Larrabee so no need you telling me!:) 
April 22, 2008 3:00:19 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Did you check out my link? Im speaking about that. Or...?

I read the article, but the funky Google translation threw me off. I hope an English site covers this rather important issue. The lack of coverage makes you wonder how far Nvidia's has gone to keep this under wraps... :whistle: 
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2008 3:17:34 AM

Well, I really am not trying to go there. BUT, if this is true, and the CF'd 3870s are = to SLI'd 8800GT's, just because of this issue, then we have to rewrite the price permoance from the get go as more DX10.1 games show up, or until nVidia actually makes a DX10.1 card edit sp
April 22, 2008 5:05:27 AM

I didn't hear anything about the DX 10.1 from any other site. I still find it as a lost in the wind topic:p 

It would be nice for it to be true, that way I'd go and exchange the 9600 GT for a 3870, but till I see good Sites catch on it meh!

a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2008 3:08:57 PM

Heres a few clips from the game, the dark one is the nVidia card, the lighter ATI . ATI http://www.benchzone.com/images/assasinscreedtemporary/... Now nVidia http://www.benchzone.com/images/assasinscreedtemporary/... Zooming in to the upper top left, you can see the difference, or the stair steps on the nVidia card, but on the edges, they dont appear on the ATI. Using DX10.1, which is software, the ATI cards get a 20% improvement in fps. Without it, and forcing 4XAA, you lose that 20%. On the nVidia card, nothing changes, except a huge hit when you force 4XAA, which in the German site, testing with 3870s in CF, actually brought them up to comparable 8800GT in SLI. Its coming, trust me, just look for yourself at my links
April 22, 2008 3:13:49 PM

to me from the links, I like the Shine effect in the DX 10.1 picture but I think the floor is washed out:S maybe thats just me!

It does look more pleasing haha, but I'm picky when I see graphics:p 

EDIT: the mountain in the Background dissappears in the DX 10.1 picture too!
April 22, 2008 3:23:36 PM

It looks like the brightness is turned up WAY too high in the ATI screenshots.

To be honest I'm having a hard time seeing any aliasing in either of the screenies, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2008 3:35:15 PM

On the upper left, look at the book shelf edges. And straight down, looking at the railing, you can see that it isnt processing as much on the darker one, or fewer steps
April 22, 2008 3:38:20 PM

well the mountain is missing:D  lol
April 22, 2008 3:45:02 PM

Very interesting. DX 10.1 looks nice. I guess I'll see it in action when a CRPG I want supports it. Maybe the expansion for LOTR Online this fall? Their DX10 patch was nice, and a major reason I'm using Vista with a 3870x2.

a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2008 3:47:09 PM

LOL thats true, its whited out. Main thing to remember here, these are supposed to be equal, and this is with a 20% jump in fps in 10.1. So it works as they said, at least at this point, more needs to come, but its looking like it actually works. Now, if they can just do mountains in DX10.1 .... heheh
April 22, 2008 3:58:29 PM

hahahahah
April 23, 2008 2:16:36 AM

Well, it seems like Ubisoft is confirming dx 10.1 and at the same time dropping it in the next patch (looks like I won't be getting the next patch).
http://pc.ign.com/articles/868/868552p1.html

They say it's buggy, but I haven't had the game crash on me yet. I guess nvidia got mad at them for putting dx 10.1 in the release and making ATI look good.
April 23, 2008 2:25:01 AM

Well they have their reasons:)  I would still like to see benchmarks:D 
April 23, 2008 4:27:40 AM

wait till the nV fB see this.they would be posting all over .hahaha pity nV had the game played the ATI way.hahahaha
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2008 5:32:17 AM

Actually, it was the M$ DX10 compliant way til they changed it because nVidia couldnt do it at the time, and still cant. Dont get me wrong, Im not a fanboy, I may like something a lil more at one time or another, but even tho fps is currently nVidias in best perf, they havnt done, and still cant do DX10.1, and it took them longer to get to DX10 too. They make killer cards, but they arent on the cutting edge with regards to DXxx, and havnt been in well over a year. So even tho nVidia has faster cards, we dont know how theyll do in these areas
April 23, 2008 11:38:25 AM

Yes but I always found it pointless to have a technology to back up a low performance card:p  I'd rather have a card that can do HIgh frame rates than a card that can do low but can make a slightly better lookin game:p  I really don't see any difference other than it being too bright.

The only difference I saw was in the old valve screen shot, that 1 I understood.
April 23, 2008 12:36:42 PM

Actually dx10.1 isn't about great looks it's about improved performance by doing AA a different way. So when a game does dx 10.1 (ATI was banking on this I think) performance does not suffer when AA is enabled, and AC is a perfect example of this. Its just too bad for ATI that nvidia got the rules of the game changed.
April 23, 2008 1:43:58 PM

Well they do own most of the gaming market lol:p 

Well we will have to see. I think the new 4000 series would be the benefiters of the DX 10.1 not so much the current gen Ati cards. THe only 1 that might be good for is the X2.
April 23, 2008 1:49:09 PM

San Pedro said:
Actually dx10.1 isn't about great looks it's about improved performance by doing AA a different way. So when a game does dx 10.1 (ATI was banking on this I think) performance does not suffer when AA is enabled, and AC is a perfect example of this. Its just too bad for ATI that nvidia got the rules of the game changed.

Actually DX10.1 should allow for AA to be used in circumstances where it has historically not been so effective, so IQ should improve at least slightly.

And yes it sucks that Nvidia was able to convince MS to strip out some of the cooler stuff from DX10 :( 
!