2v4lve

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
I have a 200gb Maxtor, not sure on the model but this one V

pRS1C-2964386w345.jpg

Computer won't boot when connected, won't recognize probably because upon closer inspection it seems like the disc no longer keys on - no audible noises, power light doesn't blink, etc. I've tried to go through disk management, other computers just looking to know if it is cooked or if there's something i could possibly do to get it going again - or the best way to recover the data and move on to a new unit.

TonCharr28

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Could you try finding out exactly what model your Maxtor is? If it uses a standard hard disk size (like 2.5" or 3.5"), then maybe you can take it out, and place it in an external HDD enclosure to access the data. Just pray that it's your current hard disk controller that's broken, not the hard disk itself.

Ton, it's already in an external drive.

2v4, does your computer boot without the drive? Is the external drive a 2.5" or 3.5" unit?

There's a good chance that the only thing wrong is the USB interface, not the drive, failed. What you can do is tkake the drive out of the enclosure and directly hook it up to the computer to see if you can read it. If it's a 2.5" IDE drive, you will be out of luck unless you have a 2.5 " - 3.5" adapter. (They don't cost much, but they are getting hard to find.)

The other thing you can do is buy an empty USB drive enclosure of the appropriate size and interface and install your old drive in it.