Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P5KPL-CM Motherboard for Micro ATX Build

Last response: in Motherboards
May 29, 2008 12:50:47 AM

Hey all!

I am currently checking into a new system, and am mesmerized by the Antec Mini P180. I have no use for all the extra PCI slots that a normal ATX form MB offers. So I have chose to go with Micro ATX, and I fell in love with this case. For many reasons not related to this topic.

I have been looking at motherboards. Asus recently released the P5KPL-CM for the Intel LGA775 socket CPUs. As far as the specs are concerned, this mobo meets and exceeds my expectations. 1600/1333MHz FSB support! But often, looks can be deceiving. I searched high and low on forums here as well as google, and found zero customer reviews, except for the 4 on Newegg. Wondering if anyone has had a chance to build a system with this MB and what their thoughts are.

EDIT: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813131288

Thanks in advance for any replies and advice. :na: 
April 21, 2009 8:55:54 PM

I bought the MB, wasn't impressed at all, actually was pissed off, I kept getting a blue screen when wanting to install OS, OVERHEATING at Southbridge chipset & CPU, only got it going after using another PC (Gigabyte) to install OS onto HDD then afterwards transferring HDD back to Asus MB, still got laggy game play (guess all that fancy talk on the MB box was jus eye candy. Also came across the same problem when a friend of mine bought the same thing, it was then I was convinced that this board was a rip off! 2 motherboard brands I trust from exp are FOXCON & GIGABYTE, (Gigabyte is best, especially for gaming & graphic designing) I'm a serious gamer so PC performance is of upmost concern, take my advice and do not buy the Asus, spend abit more on something better! hav a nice day. p.s i'm stuck with this crappy asus so I have installed 5 extra fans jus to keep it warm (not burning HOT!) and still laggy gameplay. email - lawrencefong@yahoo.com
Related resources
May 14, 2009 1:57:57 AM

wtf man, this MOBO runs cool, and is quick. it supports DDR2 duel channel RAM. if your getting laggy gameplay then ur CPU is ***. if its still laggy, with at least 2GB ddr2 and a DECENT duel core processer, then you built your system wrong. im running that board right now, got it cos it was cheap, and its great. and if your a "serious Game" DONT BUY A BUDGET BOARD!
May 20, 2009 4:10:27 AM

its either that or they're dumping defective Mother boards in Fiji
June 1, 2009 4:27:58 PM

If you're getting overheating, perhaps the CPU heatsink doesn't have proper contact. I recently bought this MB and I'm completely satisfied with its performance. No Bluescreens during installation either. Installed Windows XP media center 2005. If you are installing vista however it has problems installing with more then 1 stick of ram installed (pre SP1 at least that I know of).

June 7, 2009 9:49:56 AM

Any info on how it overclocks? 'Cause i'm running a e5200 @ Stock and want to OC it to at least FSB 1066 (267MHz Base) but i'm not sure how well does this mobo help with that. Also, i can't find on the bios (version 0608 Date 07-May-2009) the options to fix the PCIE bus at 100Mhz and the PCI Bus at 33.33MHz, and i'm unsure if those buses will be OC'd if i raise my FSB from stock 200 to 267 (looking for a 1066 FSB)

Help?
June 9, 2009 4:35:01 AM

Well, i contacted asus support, and they said that setting FSB to 266 (1066) will not affect my pcie or pci buses. Anyone have any experience setting the fsb to something different (or higher?)
June 21, 2009 10:20:09 AM

been using this board since june '08. XP Pro, E2180, 8800gts, 500gb hdd.. overclocked the cpu to 2,6ghz using the overclocking feature of the mb. if you wanna oc more, get a mb with more oc features
playing games like crysis, far cry 2, cod 4 & 5, zero problems
June 23, 2009 12:00:20 AM

Hey, I just bought the Asus P5KPL-CM Motherboard and it has been nothing but a nightmare trying to get windows XP pro to install with it, I've formatted it before trying to install XP but it just keeps rebooting over and over never getting past the XP logo with the blue bar, I managed to get another hardrive from a working computer with xp pro installed to work with this MOBO, but it only worked for about 5 minutes, all the while driver windows popping up all over the place to try and to locate any kind of drivers through windows, as soon as I clicked on something it began to reboot and never made it back to windows, I updated the bios on this board with the latest update from asus as well as someone suggested, didn't help, cannot for the life of me figure out what the problem is I tried to install XP with SP2 integrated as many other forums suggested, that didn't work either, I've tried every setting in the bios, I must have spent 3 days straight day in and day out trying everything to no avail, one poster suggest disabling the PCI-E setting before installing, tried that too, no go..I'm about to give up, don't know what else to try... if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts would love to hear it..Thanks

I have
Asus P5KPL-CM Motherboard
Brand new 450watt power supply
Pentium D 3Ghz Dual Core
2 gig DDR2 800mhz Ram
(which i tested with Memtest)
5 year Old 40 gig Western Digital HD IDE
(sufficient for my needs
(that works perfectly in another pc)
LG DVR/RW

June 24, 2009 7:24:31 AM

are you guys using nothing but sata drives?
September 26, 2009 6:21:50 PM

i have the p5kpl-cm with a core 2 quad q9300 and a good heatsink and fan, and all 4 of my cores run around 50 degrees C sometimes 60 when gaming, that being said i liked the board when i first got it, but then one of the memory sticks went bad, or so i thought, but now after receiving a replacement i see it is the board doing it. cuz both my memory sticks work by them selves but as soon i install one in the second slot all it does is beep a bunch times and wont boot up at all. so here i am with a lousy 2 gb or ram instead of 4 has anyone else had this problem? and maybe know of a fix? the bios update didn't help. the ignorant people smk superstore were supposed to send me the exact same chip that i sent back and they didn't even after i wrote a big note in large letters to send in with the defective one. this one is only half the height of my other one, but the stickers on it say it is ddr 2 800 like my other one. i wonder too if they sent me one with different timing or something? incompitence really ticks me off sometimes. but this chip does work in my computer if i put it in first slot and don't have anything in the second slot. if anyone knows of a workaround to get my 4gb of ram back please help me! :o P
September 27, 2009 7:24:00 PM

Quote:
cuz both my memory sticks work by them selves but as soon i install one in the second slot all it does is beep a bunch times and wont boot up at all. so here i am with a lousy 2 gb or ram instead of 4 has anyone else had this problem?

Yeah I've got a similar problem. I'm using the same motherboard, with an Intel Core 2 Duo e6750, with 2x2GB Corsair DDR2-800 (CM2X2048-6400C5) sticks of RAM.

Either stick runs through Memtest86+ v4.00 fine, in either memory slot too, but both together causes issues and runs errors at the same spot every time (about 50% in).

I'm about to throw some RAM in from my main PC, which uses the same kind of RAM. I'm beginning to think that perhaps it's a problem with dual-channel, though some more investigation will probably help.

Perhaps it's an incompatibility with this brand/type of RAM and this motherboard, though that seems quite unlikely to me. This problem has been causing me a great deal of trouble. I actually have 2 of these motherboards... *sigh*

I'll see how I go and get back to you if I remember.
October 12, 2009 9:42:39 PM

i just bought this board and ive tried 2 cpuz 3.4 2 hard drives 2 sets of ram and this thing still freeszes up me at desktop after a few mins so i try reinstalling and it freezes up there to so theres 2 types of asus p5kpl-cm board rolling around 1's that work and 1's that don't
October 12, 2009 9:52:46 PM

jelreyn said:
Quote:
cuz both my memory sticks work by them selves but as soon i install one in the second slot all it does is beep a bunch times and wont boot up at all. so here i am with a lousy 2 gb or ram instead of 4 has anyone else had this problem?

Yeah I've got a similar problem. I'm using the same motherboard, with an Intel Core 2 Duo e6750, with 2x2GB Corsair DDR2-800 (CM2X2048-6400C5) sticks of RAM.

Either stick runs through Memtest86+ v4.00 fine, in either memory slot too, but both together causes issues and runs errors at the same spot every time (about 50% in).

I'm about to throw some RAM in from my main PC, which uses the same kind of RAM. I'm beginning to think that perhaps it's a problem with dual-channel, though some more investigation will probably help.

Perhaps it's an incompatibility with this brand/type of RAM and this motherboard, though that seems quite unlikely to me. This problem has been causing me a great deal of trouble. I actually have 2 of these motherboards... *sigh*

I'll see how I go and get back to you if I remember.

Actually I worked out what the problem was for me. It was faulty (intermittent) RAM. Weird thing was when I tested each stick with memtest86+ v4.00 individually, they tested fine, however when I (eventually) tested them together, repeatable errors would appear. So I tested both sticks individually in a different motherboard I had handy, and found one of the sticks to be faulty. I've since returned the RAM and received a replacement, and the motherboard is now working fine. So is the other one. So I don't think the motherboard is so bad... I actually bought a 3rd one recently to build another cheap e5300-based PC. Works fine.

Thanks.
February 19, 2010 3:14:48 AM

I baught the motherboard and have been very happy with it. I have a pentium d 925 3ghz cpu with 2 gig of 800mhz patriot sticks 2 hdd's a bfg 8600gts oc video card and last but not least a bfg 600 watt power supply. I just recently installed windows 7 32 bit and havent had any problems with this mother board. I updated the bios to the new 0608 version and have been pleased with the overclocking of this motherboard with the pentium d chip i got 3.9ghz with 1066 fsb speed out of it. the only thinjg i have to say about this motherboard i havent been able to get anything more than 800 mhz out of the ram it only offers it to me. Any ideas on how to over clock the ram on this board anyone?

I am going to be installing a quad core chip very soon also and uping the ram to 4 gig on this board.

The other question i have has anyone ran windows 7 64 bit on this motherboard yet?
February 27, 2010 7:26:18 AM

I loaded up Win7 Ultimate 64-bit on this board today, and it is running fine and stable with a Patriot Warp v2 SSD. My beef with this board for SSD / Win7 use is that the controller does not have an AHCI mode, which I have heard limits performance due to bugs in non-AHCI mode. TRIM support on SSD's (which is not supported by my older Patriot SSD) requires AHCI mode.

I did have detection problems with my Kingston 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5 RAM set, it only detects as 2GB. Putting the 2GB sticks in individually also detects as 1GB modules. I installed another 2GB DDR2-800 Kingston module I have, which is a newer lower profile model with the same CL5 timings, and it detects and works fine. The chips on the RAM with detection problems were Elpida vs the low profile module which had Kingston's own name labelled on them. The BIOS was the latest 0608.
May 25, 2010 5:57:55 PM

I am running theasus p5kpl-am se MB and I get laggy gameplay trying to play NWN on windows 7 and ideas on how to fix that? and what are the external graphics cards that can be used with this motherboard?
June 24, 2010 10:45:52 AM

yeah my board is working great now that i ordered 4 gb of crucial ram i have had no more problems!
August 5, 2010 8:38:09 PM

I have used this board for a long time, and have just found out that it's main problem is the plugs for the CPU fans, there's some problem with the holes, so you have to check you attached the CPU properly, or you'll no doubt get major heat problems. Other then that though, which isn't that big a problem anyway, it rocks.
November 24, 2010 8:50:05 PM

I have ran this P5KPL-CM now for little over two years and its great. I built the system on a budget and got bang for the buck. Im running a Intel Core Duo E7300 OC'ed at 3.22GHz, 4 Gigs OCZ DDR2 800 ram, ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics card, 4 Seagate ST31500341 ATS 1.5TB ATA 7200rpm drives and a Cooler Master GX Series 650W ATX Power Supply. I can run Lost Planet maxed out at a playable 48fps at max resolution, with the resolution set down to 1280x720 it runs at 66fps using the in game benchmark.
!