Sign in with
Your question

SSD Questions

Last response: in Storage
June 1, 2009 10:00:28 PM

Hey guys, lately my 7200RPM HDD 320gb has been failing, its losing files outta nowhere, its about 6 years old and its time to upgrade. I want to get a SSD thats fast, reliable, and not too expensive. Ive looked around and im going with name brands because i want quality and support. So ive decided on the Corsair 2.5" 64GB SATA II (link below) because its cheaper, not super fast, but im going to run 3 of them them in raid 0 or a raid 3, (Using my old 7200rpm 320gb drive as the mirror backup in raid 3). That setup gives me speed, capacity, and is cheaper than a X25 from Intel. So if one does actually fail i have a backup. Im just looking for some feed back and if someone has a guide for raid setups that would be great because ive never done it before.

Final setup idea explained more. Ide have a raid 3, Disk1 and Disk2 would be a 64gb SSD, disk 3 would be a 320gb HDD. And i would also have my 80GB as a slave for my movie storage.

SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : ssd questions

a b G Storage
June 1, 2009 10:20:19 PM

I have not seen RAID3 being used in a very long time. Or even seen any controllers supporting it now. It's relic technology.

SSD is pretty reliable and will certainly not fail sooner than HDD on average.
Any important data should be kept on HDD with redundancy (i.e. mirroring or parity) as first line of defense. Keeping it on SSD is simply as waste of its storage space as it costs a lot more in $/GB obviously.
Better to go with 2x1TB RAID1 for storage as they're dirt cheap these days.

A single SSD (not based on JMF602s) will give you quite a noticeable speed increase from HDD already and several times over if your using using the drive concurrently e.g. virus-scan + loading Photoshop
June 1, 2009 11:27:04 PM

What i ment is that i would have 2 SSD's in a raid 1, because that would increase speed, and im getting a slower kind of SSD's. I would have a slave of 80gb attached as a normal hard drive to store my bigger files of movies and such.
a c 127 G Storage
June 2, 2009 2:06:45 PM

RAID1 doesn't improve performance for many implementations. Only those on Linux/BSD can show RAID0-like improvements to read speeds and IOps. Most RAID1s perform the same as a single disk. Why would you put SSDs in RAID1? Why not in RAID0?

Even if you are going to use it in RAID1, the controller in the SSD will use RAID0 techniques for getting more performance out of the flash memory; called channel bonding or interleaving.
!