Sign in with
Your question

External esata drove

Last response: in Storage
June 1, 2009 10:26:03 PM

I have a external esata drive. It works correctly as long as the drive is connected and turned on at boot up. I can disconnect it with the eject icon and when I recconect window finds the drive. However when I boot without the drive on it does not find the drive when I connect it. I am expecting it to work like an external USB drive, ie plug in in anytime and have window recconize the drive. Is this how it is supposed to work or an I expecting something that is not possible?
Frank

More about : external esata drove

June 2, 2009 12:10:32 AM

aframe said:
I have a external esata drive. It works correctly as long as the drive is connected and turned on at boot up. I can disconnect it with the eject icon and when I recconect window finds the drive. However when I boot without the drive on it does not find the drive when I connect it. I am expecting it to work like an external USB drive, ie plug in in anytime and have window recconize the drive. Is this how it is supposed to work or an I expecting something that is not possible?
Frank

Your controller needs to be in AHCI mode, as set in BIOS, for this to work. Unfortunately, if you installed windows with the controller in IDE mode, it's really hard to switch to AHCI mode.
June 2, 2009 12:24:44 AM

Crashman said:
Your controller needs to be in AHCI mode, as set in BIOS, for this to work. Unfortunately, if you installed windows with the controller in IDE mode, it's really hard to switch to AHCI mode.

The bios is set to AHCI mode. Without this it does not work at all. I guess my question is why windows cannot see the drive unless the drive is connected and turned on at boot up. Does it not work like a USB drive and can be connected without having to reboot. It will work as long as the drive was attached and on at boot up. If not, unlike a usb drive the operating system will not see the drive.
Related resources
June 2, 2009 12:31:00 AM

aframe said:
The bios is set to AHCI mode. Without this it does not work at all. I guess my question is why windows cannot see the drive unless the drive is connected and turned on at boot up. Does it not work like a USB drive and can be connected without having to reboot. It will work as long as the drive was attached and on at boot up. If not, unlike a usb drive the operating system will not see the drive.

Well, it gets complicated. Some BIOS supports "hot plug function" while others doesn't. But that's not the end of it.

For most motherboards, not having Hot Plug function in BIOS simply disables the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in Windows. For those boards, hot-plug still works but to "safely remove" the drive, that is, to flush out its cache before removal, you have to remove the drive in Device Manager before ejecting it.

Your motherboard is almost unique in that it's not hot-detecting drives. I've never seen that, except for IDE mode where the port has to be initialized at boot in order to be active.

What motherboard are you using?
June 2, 2009 12:45:06 AM

Crashman said:
Well, it gets complicated. Some BIOS supports "hot plug function" while others doesn't. But that's not the end of it.

For most motherboards, not having Hot Plug function in BIOS simply disables the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in Windows. For those boards, hot-plug still works but to "safely remove" the drive, that is, to flush out its cache before removal, you have to remove the drive in Device Manager before ejecting it.

Your motherboard is almost unique in that it's not hot-detecting drives. I've never seen that, except for IDE mode where the port has to be initialized at boot in order to be active.

This is an HP XW4600 workstation. I beleive it has a intel chipset. The motherboard has an external esata port out the back of the case.
Belarc reports it as
Board: Hewlett-Packard 0AA0h
Serial Number: USH83400V2
Bus Clock: 1333 megahertz
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard 786F3 v01.16 02/19/2009
June 2, 2009 1:39:30 AM

aframe said:
This is an HP XW4600 workstation. I beleive it has a intel chipset. The motherboard has an external esata port out the back of the case.
Belarc reports it as
Board: Hewlett-Packard 0AA0h
Serial Number: USH83400V2
Bus Clock: 1333 megahertz
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard 786F3 v01.16 02/19/2009

Ah, HP. You should ask HP about this, since it's a workstation board you expect a higher class of functionality. I looked at the board and found no 3rd parts SATA controller, so it's not the "wrong controller" set to AHCI. See if there is any place in BIOS to set "AHCI hot-plug function", and if not, perhaps HP has an application for it.

Asus made the board: I'm using a retail Asus motherboard and it hot-detects drives just fine. Asus doesn't support AHCI Hot-Plug function, but HP might.

Asus' lack of support for this setting is frustating since better companies like ASRock have provided it for many product cycles.

I just called ASRock a better company, who would have thought that? Well, if Asus keeps falling behind, one of these days I might actually mean what I just said.
June 2, 2009 1:55:37 AM

Crashman said:
Ah, HP. You should ask HP about this, since it's a workstation board you expect a higher class of functionality. I looked at the board and found no 3rd parts SATA controller, so it's not the "wrong controller" set to AHCI. See if there is any place in BIOS to set "AHCI hot-plug function", and if not, perhaps HP has an application for it.

Asus made the board: I'm using a retail Asus motherboard and it hot-detects drives just fine. Asus doesn't support AHCI Hot-Plug function, but HP might.

Asus' lack of support for this setting is frustating since better companies like ASRock have provided it for many product cycles.

I just called ASRock a better company, who would have thought that? Well, if Asus keeps falling behind, one of these days I might actually mean what I just said.

Tech support at HP does not seem to have a clue. I have talked to three different techs and all they can tell me is Yes it supports it. Yet none of them could tell me how to get it working. Google and I got it to work to this point. Is there any thing else I have to install besides the driver that comes with Vista or Win 7 from Microsoft?
Thanx for your help. Have tried other forums and seems no one wants to talk about esata drives.
June 2, 2009 2:41:32 AM

aframe said:
Tech support at HP does not seem to have a clue. I have talked to three different techs and all they can tell me is Yes it supports it. Yet none of them could tell me how to get it working. Google and I got it to work to this point. Is there any thing else I have to install besides the driver that comes with Vista or Win 7 from Microsoft?
Thanx for your help. Have tried other forums and seems no one wants to talk about esata drives.

I've tried the Intel matrix storage manager, but haven't had any luck getting additional features that way.
June 2, 2009 5:54:02 PM

Does anyone have an esata drive that can connect and use it without having to reboot the computor?
June 2, 2009 6:50:32 PM

aframe said:
Does anyone have an esata drive that can connect and use it without having to reboot the computor?

Yes, I have an eSATA drive on my PC using a nearly-identical, retail Asus motherboard. It hot plugs fine but to flush out the cache before removal I have to remove it from device manager.

If I don't remove it from device manager before removing it, I risk losing any of the data that's in cache.

I also have an ASRock motherboard that I use it on, the ASRock motherboard has the "Enable AHCI hot-plugging" BIOS setting and the drive shows up in "Safely Remove Hardware" so I can flush the cache that way.

You see, I wasn't talking theory, I was talking practice. If you have AHCI enabled and can't detect the drive without rebooting, there's something wrong with your machine.
June 2, 2009 7:11:23 PM

Crashman said:
Yes, I have an eSATA drive on my PC using a nearly-identical, retail Asus motherboard. It hot plugs fine but to flush out the cache before removal I have to remove it from device manager.

If I don't remove it from device manager before removing it, I risk losing any of the data that's in cache.

I also have an ASRock motherboard that I use it on, the ASRock motherboard has the "Enable AHCI hot-plugging" BIOS setting and the drive shows up in "Safely Remove Hardware" so I can flush the cache that way.

You see, I wasn't talking theory, I was talking practice. If you have AHCI enabled and can't detect the drive without rebooting, there's something wrong with your machine.

Sorry, I did not read correctly.
The "Safely Remove Hardware" is working on mine. Would it be a function of the AHCI driver to detect the drive when it is pluged in? What driver are us using on the Asus board?
Frank
June 2, 2009 7:36:23 PM

aframe said:
Sorry, I did not read correctly.
The "Safely Remove Hardware" is working on mine. Would it be a function of the AHCI driver to detect the drive when it is pluged in? What driver are us using on the Asus board?
Frank

I'm using the default Windows driver, because...

I tried the Intel update driver and it offered no improvement in functionality.

It would be a function of the AHCI controller to add a drive when it's plugged in. No driver is required for that, it's handled at hardware level.
June 4, 2009 6:27:53 PM

Crashman said:
I'm using the default Windows driver, because...

I tried the Intel update driver and it offered no improvement in functionality.

It would be a function of the AHCI controller to add a drive when it's plugged in. No driver is required for that, it's handled at hardware level.

Another DUMB question if I may. Would adding a 3rd party sata controller that supported hot plug make this work correctly. I guess what I am asking do they make one that has its own bios that would work independent of the mother board bios?
Frank
June 4, 2009 7:06:01 PM

aframe said:
Another DUMB question if I may. Would adding a 3rd party sata controller that supported hot plug make this work correctly. I guess what I am asking do they make one that has its own bios that would work independent of the mother board bios?
Frank

It should.
June 5, 2009 6:10:36 AM

Crashman said:

I'm trying to find an answer to a similar issue I have with an eSata connection.

I have an external Antec eSata/USB2 box with a WD 500 MB HDD in it. This works perfectly in my new Gigabyte X58 mobo with Windows Vista 64 Ultimate. It allows me to safely remove the drive, hot plug, leave in at boot, everything just works perfectly.

However, the same external drive/box plugged into my Gigabyte G33M-DS2R mobo running Vista Business 64 works fine except the "safely remove" is never displayed.

The ports are in AHCI mode & I'm running the latest Intel Matrix Storage drivers & I can safely remove the drive if I use the 3rd party program "HotSwap!.exe".

It's just that Vista itself doesn't detect the drive as an eSata drive... weird!

Another observation - my X58 mobo is in a Coolmaster case that has an eSata port & cable built in.

My G33M-DS2R mobo just has one of the little eSata brackets that you plug into an internal Sata port & put in the back of the case. So my question is, does a real eSata external port differ to one of these little plug in brackets?
June 5, 2009 6:23:55 AM

shovel said:
I'm trying to find an answer to a similar issue I have with an eSata connection.

I have an external Antec eSata/USB2 box with a WD 500 MB HDD in it. This works perfectly in my new Gigabyte X58 mobo with Windows Vista 64 Ultimate. It allows me to safely remove the drive, hot plug, leave in at boot, everything just works perfectly.

However, the same external drive/box plugged into my Gigabyte G33M-DS2R mobo running Vista Business 64 works fine except the "safely remove" is never displayed.

The ports are in AHCI mode & I'm running the latest Intel Matrix Storage drivers & I can safely remove the drive if I use the 3rd party program "HotSwap!.exe".

It's just that Vista itself doesn't detect the drive as an eSata drive... weird!

Another observation - my X58 mobo is in a Coolmaster case that has an eSata port & cable built in.

My G33M-DS2R mobo just has one of the little eSata brackets that you plug into an internal Sata port & put in the back of the case. So my question is, does a real eSata external port differ to one of these little plug in brackets?

There is no difference between a port on the front of the case or on a slot bracket. It's all about BIOS implementation of the hot-plug feature. I've been getting annoyed at Asus for not implementing it, now you can start in on Gigabyte.

Send them an email explaining that your new board supports it but your older one doesn't, and that because they updated BIOS for the new board but not the old one, you're losing faith in their support of older products. Tell them that furthermore, because all products eventually get old before you quit using them, you prefer to do business with a company that properly supports their products for at least three years (the expected life of a system).
June 5, 2009 7:15:25 AM

Crashman said:
There is no difference between a port on the front of the case or on a slot bracket. It's all about BIOS implementation of the hot-plug feature. I've been getting annoyed at Asus for not implementing it, now you can start in on Gigabyte.

Send them an email explaining that your new board supports it but your older one doesn't, and that because they updated BIOS for the new board but not the old one, you're losing faith in their support of older products. Tell them that furthermore, because all products eventually get old before you quit using them, you prefer to do business with a company that properly supports their products for at least three years (the expected life of a system).

Thanks for the quick reply... I'll shoot Gigabyte an email like you suggested but I won't hold my breath... I suppose I'm lucky that my new X58 board works properly. At least I've got that 3rd party program that makes it easy to remove...

Cheers...

!