Sign in with
Your question

Laptop screen broken & only starts in safe mode

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 11, 2010 10:26:56 PM

Hello,

my laptop screen is broken and i added a monitor to startup on , only problem is it loads ok in safe mode and only goes to loading in normal mode and slows down cosiderably, can anyone help?
August 11, 2010 11:26:20 PM

Reload the video driver.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 11, 2010 11:32:17 PM

how do i reload the video driver? do i do that in safe mode?
Related resources
August 11, 2010 11:41:17 PM

First, you need to verify you have the latest driver.

It is installed in the normal, working mode of XP, but can be installed in safe mode.

What is your computer make & Model and I'll see if I can get you the latest driver.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 11, 2010 11:49:47 PM

it is a advent milano , intel atom n270.
August 11, 2010 11:51:16 PM

Ok, this will take an hour or so...
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 11, 2010 11:53:07 PM

tigsounds said:
Ok, this will take an hour or so...

thank you mate for your time effort and patience .
August 12, 2010 12:00:53 AM

Scratch the hour thing... you are in luck, Intel released new drivers recently.

The one you want is this one:

7/26/2010             14.​​42.​​5.​​5284

Intel GL40 chipset & Graphics Download
August 12, 2010 12:02:03 AM

BTW, the reason it says "GL40" is that's the chipset used in your computer.

(now I'll be gone for awhile)
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 12, 2010 12:02:23 AM

aw thank you mate ..

ok so i download it and install in safe mode ?
August 12, 2010 12:05:32 AM

Quote:
aw thank you mate ..

ok so i download it and install in safe mode ?

I guess I'm eating dinner a little later tonight.. no worries, it's all good.

It's an executable. It may expand files to a folder, or it may plug them in directly.
Just run it and see what happens. Intel will have instructions there someplace.

Normal if possible, but should also work in safe mode.

There are two of them there as that version. One is an "exe" and the other is a "zip" get the exe version.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 13, 2010 6:03:57 PM

i tried to load the video drivers in safe mode but it tells me that i dont have minimum spec to load them ?
August 14, 2010 3:54:36 AM

I downloaded the Zip version of that driver and expanded it. I am uncertain of what the exe version will do.

There is a "readme.txt" file in the unzipped folder describing how to install the video driver in XP.

If the 'exe' version unzipped the files to your temp folder or, someplace you can find them, it is worthwhile to look at the readme file. Maybe manually installing the driver will work.

If you cannot find the location the exe file expanded the driver into, download the Zip version and expand it to a new empty folder so you can see everything it contains.

Try manually installing the files as instructed in the readme file. If it works, great, if not come back and we'll work from there.

August 14, 2010 9:35:53 PM

tigsounds said:
I downloaded the Zip version of that driver and expanded it. I am uncertain of what the exe version will do.

There is a "readme.txt" file in the unzipped folder describing how to install the video driver in XP.

If the 'exe' version unzipped the files to your temp folder or, someplace you can find them, it is worthwhile to look at the readme file. Maybe manually installing the driver will work.

If you cannot find the location the exe file expanded the driver into, download the Zip version and expand it to a new empty folder so you can see everything it contains.

Try manually installing the files as instructed in the readme file. If it works, great, if not come back and we'll work from there.

things have gotten even worse i have this error now and no safemode?

windows failed to start. a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem:
1 insert windows installation disk & restart pc
2 choose language settings & click next
3 click repair your computer.

errors showing

file:\boot\bcd
info: the windows boot configuration data file does not contain a valid os entry ?
!