Kaze master fan controller

ArchosSecutor

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
For those of you who own/have tested the 5.25" version of the Scythe Kaze Master fan controller, have you been able to run multiple fans on a channel?
If so, what kind of connections did you use?

I just got mine and no matter what I do, even when running scythe ultra kazes and scythe slipstreams directly to the kaze master, 1 fan per channel, I am only able to get channels 1 and 4 to work.
I've tried alternating power plugs, alternated cables (fan cable 2 works in channel 1, but not in channel 2).

When I try any channels with linked fans using the provided adapter unit that came with my scythe fans, the fan doesn't start up. When I do that I have to connect 3 or 4 plugs to link.

So, all 4 temp readings work, but just channels 1 and 4 on fans.

I suppose I got a bad unit?

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
You could try turning the system of and turning knobs for all 4 channels to the max. I remember I couldn't get a fan started if it was not running at power on.

Also for fans that don't report rpm it sometimes doesn't want to start on it's own. I have to power down the unit and turn the knob all the way to full speed and power up again.

If the same fan works in 1 and 4 but not in 2 and 3 it's likely faulty.

ArchosSecutor

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
I did as you suggested and 4 fans did turn on, and the knobs altered their RPM, however, now the LCD shows all 0's or flashes to random signals that donm't even look like numbers. Last night while doing that it would have beeping sprees every 5 minutes or so. Very annoying. RMA'ing this, hopefully the next will be better.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Yes. Faulty for sure. I have 4 Scythe SFF21F on it and all 4 work like a charm at 1200rpm. One thing I find annoying is the 30rpm steps, but I learned to only look at the first two numbers. :D

The beeping only happens when a fan with a rpm wire sends no pulses.
Remove the jumper on the rear to silence the alarm.

Good luck with the second unit.

ArchosSecutor

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Have you attempted to run multiple fans on each channel?
That's really what I'm depending on since I have at least 6 fans that need to be slowed down a bit.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
I've ran two 60mm rpm signal less fans from a harddrive cooler in a short test (on a single 3 pin connector). No issues.
It' has a 1A per channel maximum and it doesn't really care what's pluged into it if it doesn't report rpm and draws current in the first 5-15 seconds.

phaxy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I've ran two 60mm rpm signal less fans from a harddrive cooler in a short test (on a single 3 pin connector). No issues.
It' has a 1A per channel maximum and it doesn't really care what's pluged into it if it doesn't report rpm and draws current in the first 5-15 seconds.
Have you attempted to run multiple fans on each channel?
That's really what I'm depending on since I have at least 6 fans that need to be slowed down a bit.

I have the same dilemma. :\ I just ordered this fan controller and grab some 3 pin y cable for fan since I have six fans in total(1 120mm exhaust on the back, 2 140mm exhaust on top, 1 120mm intake on the side, 1 120mm intake on front and my 120mm cpu fan) Or should I really plug my cpu fan in this controller? or is it better off on the mobo? Anyway I'm just wondering if I could do the multiple fan in one channel. I'm just kinda worried about frying the controller. I would like to hear your inputs in this. thank you

ArchosSecutor

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006

I think it's safest to keep the CPU fan on the mobo from what I know - regulates the RPM (I think). It didn't seem to be a good idea to try multiple fans on 1 channel with the Kaze Master, because honestly, it's a piece of junk. Mine failed 3 times or so then newegg just gave me a refund and then they didn't even have it listed anymore. Not sure if they've restocked it since then. But ya it seems to be a very fickle unit - the display would skip around with random numbers that didn't make sense and 1 or more controls would just fail suddenly for no apparent reason other than possibly being burnt out by 2 fans on the channel (even though the 2 fans were within the specified allowed voltage).

I ended up just using a zalman fan controller for my 4 side panel intake fans and buying 2 quieter fans for exhaust rather than use my crazy Ultra Kaze's. While it isn't as fancy or cool looking as the kaze master and doesn't provide info as to how many RPM's or temps, it actually works. Haven't had any problems with it.

phaxy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Thanks for your input. I got the unit today though I haven't test it since my rig is not fully done (I need a video card and ram) But I hope this unit will turn out good. As for my fans. I got two of those 140 mm yateloon low rpm with led sitting on top of my case and I don't know about those stock fans from 690 case. I probably try and test them for a bit see what will happen.

TRENDING THREADS