Sign in with
Your question

Help picking a graphics upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2008 9:21:34 PM

Hey Guys, I'd like some help deciding here. I have an older system with a Radeon X850XT, and I am upgrading everything. I've pretty much decided on an AMD Phenom 9850, with some fairly decent motherboard and 4 gigs of RAM. I'm having trouble deciding on a graphics solutions though. I'm willing to spend up to $400 on just the graphics, and I'd love to be able to play Crysis on max everything at 1280x1024. Also, being able to play some future games at max settings would be great; I definitely want this thing to last a while.

I've thought about the 9800 GTX and 2 Crossfired HD 3870's, but both seem to have drawbacks. I've heard some negative reviews about the 9800 GTX and how it's not that much better than the 8800GTS. I also noticed that in order to get crossfire to work decently, I'd have to invest in a better motherboard. I thought about getting a single-slot combo of 2 3870's, but some people have said they're really loud. I know it may be too much to ask of a high-end card, but it's worth a shot if possible.

On a different thought, my old X850XT is crossfire-capable, but not CrossfireX. Are the two formats compatible? Can I crossfire a new ATI card and that one? Also, I'm not going to be over-clocking anything; I'm a casual gamer and would like everything to be reliable.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
April 17, 2008 11:01:52 PM

Crossfire and CrossfireX are the same thing - just rebranded.

Have you thought of the 3870X2? crossfired 3870s on one board, literally...
April 17, 2008 11:46:08 PM

amd_fanboi said:
Crossfire and CrossfireX are the same thing - just rebranded.

Have you thought of the 3870X2? crossfired 3870s on one board, literally...

Thanks for the crossfire info. I've looked at the single-board 3870x2's, but some people have said they can be really noisy. Aside from that, it's probably my #1 choice right now.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2008 12:48:53 PM

Have you decided on the motherboard? Will it be crossfire capable or SLi capable? Honestly, dual GPU's is your best bet for maxing out crysis. One higher end GPU may do the job at that low res but if you want to enable FSAA too, then you would be best served by two GPU's. Dual 8800GT or 9600GT are nice SLI Crysis options in the $260-350 range. Dual HD3870 would be good too. From what I have seen the 3870X2 ( or dual HD3870)sometimes comptetes well with SLI 9600GT and other times lags far behind. Probably a good option too, I'd just gather as many Crysis performance charts as you can to see if it will do as good a job. In this FS review, it's far behind in crysis but comptes well in other games like COD4. http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_9600_gt_sli...
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 18, 2008 7:53:35 PM

eaglerod said:
Hey Guys, I'd like some help deciding here. I have an older system with a Radeon X850XT, and I am upgrading everything. I've pretty much decided on an AMD Phenom 9850, with some fairly decent motherboard and 4 gigs of RAM. I'm having trouble deciding on a graphics solutions though. I'm willing to spend up to $400 on just the graphics, and I'd love to be able to play Crysis on max everything at 1280x1024. Also, being able to play some future games at max settings would be great; I definitely want this thing to last a while.

I've thought about the 9800 GTX and 2 Crossfired HD 3870's, but both seem to have drawbacks. I've heard some negative reviews about the 9800 GTX and how it's not that much better than the 8800GTS. I also noticed that in order to get crossfire to work decently, I'd have to invest in a better motherboard. I thought about getting a single-slot combo of 2 3870's, but some people have said they're really loud. I know it may be too much to ask of a high-end card, but it's worth a shot if possible.

On a different thought, my old X850XT is crossfire-capable, but not CrossfireX. Are the two formats compatible? Can I crossfire a new ATI card and that one? Also, I'm not going to be over-clocking anything; I'm a casual gamer and would like everything to be reliable.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

I know people frown on the whole waiting thing but seriously i would wait the month and a bit untill the new ATI cards come out and see what they can do. Failing that get a Crossfire capable mother board and a single 3870 for now. ATI say you will be able to mix the cards with this gen so you can Crossfire with a R700 or if they are dissapointing use another 3870.
Mactronix
!