Is it possible to convert a laptop screen?

4745454b

Titan
Got an old laptop, was wondering what I could do with it. Its to old to use it for anything. (P166 I think, it doesn't have a harddrive.) I thought there were guides out there that would show me how to turn it into a projector, but when I search online, they only talk about hooking it up to one. I did see one about turning an LCD monitor into a projector, but I'm not sure if thats the same. Anyone have better searching abilities then I do? Anyone have any interesting ideas on what to use this for?

ahmshaegar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/13/supersize_your_tv_for_/

none other than gold ol' tom's hardware!

Edit: Ahh, a little too quick on the post button. Just reread your post... anyway, I've opened my (not yet obsolete) laptop, and I would guess that the procedure is mostly the same. I would expect that only the casing is different (between a laptop LCD and a standalone LCD). The backlighting on a laptop should also be weaker, but that's irrelevant for this purpose. The only problem I see is the video cable. The plug might be something nonstandard or esoteric... but I would guess that if you can solve that issue, everything else should be clear sailing, since you're going to completely remove the screen from the casing anyway.

Edit 2: Did some Google searching regarding how to connect laptop LCDs to standard ports, and lots of conflicting information going around. Some French website managed to do it, but since it's in French... here's a picture of the setup just to give you an idea of the wiring involved though: http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2006/03/using_a_laptop_lcd_with_a_vga.html
Maybe you can judge if you want to spend the time and effort to go through something like that from the picture (or maybe the picture convinced you that you absolutely have to do it now :))

4745454b

Titan
I actually found that link in my search, but for some reason thought a laptops screen wouldn't work. I guess I can sit down with it tonight and see if it can work.

As always, if anyone has any other ideas, I'm open.

Edit: Probably a bad idea. I doubt the screen is even 800x600. Maybe I'll tinker with it, but I'll probably just give it to the BIL so he can recover the gold...

ahmshaegar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Honestly, I don't know for sure if a laptop's screen will or will not work. I just don't see any major differences between a laptop LCD v.s. a desktop LCD, other than irrelevant things like backlighting... however, this is just a guess on my part. I think the issue of the connector is the main showstopper, but once that is out of the way, you should be set. Wish I could have been more helpful, though.