Picking a power supply

I am having some trouble deciding on what power supply I will need for my next computer. Here are the specs:
-2 80mm & 2 120mm fans
-Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
-Raidmax Maxcool Intel CPU Cooling Fan
-MSI P35 Neo-F P35 Chipset LGA775
-4 GB of DDR2 memory (4x1GB sticks)
-NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX
-(x3) 250 GB SATA-II HDD at 7200rpm
-3 DVD±R disk drives

If more information or clarification is needed please say.

I was also told by someone that I should be safe and go with a higher wattage so my CPU wouldn't fry, but this seemed like BS to me.

I will be ordering my computer from cyberpowerpc so I will also list some of their available power supplies.
-420W (I don't know the model, but it is the default PSU in the Sigma Unicorn case)
-WIN-500XSPX APEVIA 500W
-CoolerMaster Unit 600 Watts eXtreme Power
-Corsair CMPSU-650TX

If any of these PSUs are known to be unreliable, then please say since I can always buy an alternative from newegg.

Any advice possible would be great. Thanks! :D
8 answers Last reply
More about picking power supply
  1. Corsai TX650 if we must choose from there... its the most reliable of the bunch and will power your system
  2. chookman said:
    Corsai TX650 if we must choose from there... its the most reliable of the bunch and will power your system

I was just listing those to see if they are reliable PSUs. I am always willing to get one from newegg...I just need to know what wattage is recommended. Thanks for the advice however:)
  3. I know this thread isn't to critique your build, but why the 8500? Get the 8400 for ~$80 less and just do a minor OC to 3.16ghz. And also, 3x DVD drives? Why do you need 3 drives? Heatsink, try a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283. Its the top rated LGA775 heatsink.

But on to the power supply, Seems to me that you would be ok with a solid 600 watt power supply or more. If you go to newegg, a PC Power & Cooling PSU is always a great choice, try this one for instance: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817703005
  4. ^PCP&C would be my choice to, but anything Tier 3 or above on Tom's Tiered PSU listings would suffice: http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings
  5. Between the Thermaltake Toughpower 600w & the Corsair 650 TX which would you guys recommend? Should I go with the 650 to be safe or would I be fine with the 600w?
  6. Corsair 650TX for sure
  7. Corsair 650 TX
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components