Samsung 1080p stuff available?

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ô Samsung
July 30, 2005 8:45:55 PM

I just got a catalog flyer from Tweeter and they apparently have the
1080p HDTV's available. They used to have a store on my side of town, but the
only one left is way to hell over on the other side now. Has anyone actually
seen any of these units? If so, what do you think of them?

Hermango

More about : samsung 1080p stuff

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
July 30, 2005 8:45:56 PM

You can read all about em over at www.avsforum.com

"Hermango" <hermango.kill_spam.@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:05tne1pgovmfek59fjpcrncimp0584r0cg@4ax.com...
> I just got a catalog flyer from Tweeter and they apparently have the
> 1080p HDTV's available. They used to have a store on my side of town, but
> the
> only one left is way to hell over on the other side now. Has anyone
> actually
> seen any of these units? If so, what do you think of them?
>
> Hermango
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
July 31, 2005 1:01:04 AM

Hermango wrote:
> I just got a catalog flyer from Tweeter and they apparently have the
> 1080p HDTV's available. They used to have a store on my side of town, but the
> only one left is way to hell over on the other side now. Has anyone actually
> seen any of these units? If so, what do you think of them?

I saw them at the Consumer Electronics Show and they looked amazing. But
we really don't have any sources yet that will give them a signal of
sufficient resolution to exercise all that capability. When the hi-res
DVD formats get here, then they'll be ready to go.

I'm not ready to run out and replace my 720p set, but if I were buying
one today I'd definitely go for the 1080p instead.
August 2, 2005 3:45:26 PM

Hermango wrote:

> I just got a catalog flyer from Tweeter and they apparently have the
> 1080p HDTV's available. They used to have a store on my side of town, but the
> only one left is way to hell over on the other side now. Has anyone actually
> seen any of these units? If so, what do you think of them?

Some issues, from AVS:
- not true 1080p. 1080p is the physical resolution but the unit can not accept
1080p input signal. 480i/p, 720p, 1080i are scaled to 1080p, which takes time and
leads to:
- lip sync problem. Video shows up too slowly compared to audio from a receiver.
User needs to delay audio on receiver by 120ms, or connect to TV directly.
- videogame lag. Video is too slow compared to controller inputs. These units have
a "Game Mode" which may fix this problem.
!