• CPUs
  • DRAM
  • Processors
  • Motherboards
  • Memory
Last response: in CPUs
May 8, 2008 12:08:55 AM

Good morning,

I´ve just bought a new MSI X38 Platinum motherboard and 2 chips (1Gb per chip) of DDR3 RAM.

I´ve placed the processor and the memory and within the starting process, the leds say "DRAM" as an error.

I bought the processor, memory and another motherboard 3 weeks ago and it stopped working suddenly. I've replaced DRAM and motherboard and reused processor.

Even if the leds say DRAM, could it be that the interface between the processor and the memory is damaged? I´ve tried with all memory chips and the motherboard halted the system (shutted down automatically). Old memory is probably damaged and it might have damaged old motherboard but also the processor.

How can I diagnose if I should replace the processor ?

Thank you,

Fernando.

More about : msi x38 dram error leds

May 8, 2008 11:42:44 AM

Its very unlikely for faulty memory to kill your motherboard. You should remove one memory stick and see if it will run, if not try the other single stick. Then if still no success, remove everything except for what you need, gfx, memory, cpu... ignore HDDs and CD drive, remove any add-in cards.

If still no success it would point towards mobo. CPU's are rarely faulty and in my experience Mobo's are quite often faulty
May 8, 2008 11:50:38 AM

fernandoanton said:

Even if the leds say DRAM, could it be that the interface between the processor and the memory is damaged? I´ve tried with all memory chips and the motherboard halted the system (shutted down automatically). Old memory is probably damaged and it might have damaged old motherboard but also the processor.

Most likely its faulty RAM unless you've been massively overvolting your CPU!!

What PSU are you using?

What RAM sticks are you using (DDR3 is a bit vague)?
Are you overclocking/ have you overclocked the RAM?
Does the RAM need a voltage bump at stock - perhaps?

I presume your motherboard BIOS is up-to-date, etc., etc.

More information is needed before anyone can help you!!

Bob

Related resources
May 8, 2008 12:27:13 PM

OK. Sorry, I was just trying to get some attention.

Initial configuration was:
Intel Quad Core Q9300 2.5 Ghz
ASUS P5E3 Deluxe
2Gb OCZ DDR3 6-6-6
Nvidia 9600GT
450 W standard PSU
ECO cooler

This worked properly for about 2 weeks, although I had to switch it on twice. It hanged off one night and I could not restart it at all. I tried to have a single memory chip, both, in all slots, and no results. Connecting only processor+MB+memory, I did not even get a buzz in the speaker. No overclock at all, just standard configuration.

I decided to fix it, so I assumed something was broken (maybe any electricity peak). So I've bought:
MSI X38 Platinum
2Gb Corsair DDR3 9-9-9
600 W Artic PSU

After mounting everything again, I get the DRAM error in the motherboard leds. Again I've tried with all slots and one or two memory cards. It always says "DRAM" error in motherboard leds.

So the question is: the testing that the motherboard does about DRAM, does need a working processor which can access RAM memory ?
* If the answer is Yes, then I might have a processor which has the memory bus burned and I need to change it.
* If the answer is No, then I am the most unlucky man in the world: after my little first problem, I have received a couple of DRAM chips also broken.

Any ideas ?

Thank you very very much in advance for any help provided.
Best regards,

Fernando.
May 8, 2008 12:51:58 PM

You must have a RAM cooler.

I suggest you troubleshoot it like attach 1 memory at a time till the system boots nicely and firgure out which RAM is damaged.

You must also need to learn how to handle those parts. Dont ever touch the CHIPS from mobo to RAM it will make those parts unreliable or damage. Just hold them at the edge or sides. ^_^

What will you do with the spare then? How lucky am I if I could have those [:pogsnet]
May 8, 2008 1:16:33 PM

I believe the OP said he has already tried each RAM stick on its own and that he has tried each one in each slot on the Mobo.

The OP may not be connectiong all the power he needs or he.she may be putting the systems together on a carpet and has shocked components on one or more occasion.

We should stop repeating advise that he has already recieved and followed and move on the the next step.

On person suggested checing if the RAM needs a voltage bump at stock, perhaps the bios needs and update. Otherwise try the new RAM in the old mobo (one stick at a time).
May 9, 2008 11:36:55 PM

RAMs wont damage a mobo as far as I know. Your situation is like in the you tube where Intel and AMD was put in 18-day stress test where most mobos fail.

I believe it was caused by your poor cooling system. DDR3 is hotter than DDR2 I suppose so you need to have cooling system to that. It was your RAM that maybe defective.

The Intel processor has nothing to do with RAM unlike AMD. Its more about RAM and Mobo thing.
June 8, 2008 11:29:16 PM

Hey,

I've got a identical set up (same processor [Q9300], mobo [MSI x38 Platinum] and memory [OCZ DDR3 PC1333 CL7.]) I think the problem is nothing more than some sort of freak incompatibility.

I've tried to fix it by updating the BIOS; but as soon as I do that Vista moans about not being genuine. Also; the new BIOS had a bad CRC and gave me a bit of a scare so I decided if it ain't broke; don't fix it!

"But its not fixed!" I hear you cry; well I managed to get the system working by changing the processor multiplier in the BIOS. The memory is running at 1067MHz or something like that. With this set up every thing works fine and dandy!

N.B. The new BIOS can run the memory at PC1333 but it had some very sevre stability issues; generally BSODs before login of Windows.
December 30, 2008 11:19:53 PM

fernandoanton said:
Good morning,

I´ve just bought a new MSI X38 Platinum motherboard and 2 chips (1Gb per chip) of DDR3 RAM.

I´ve placed the processor and the memory and within the starting process, the leds say "DRAM" as an error.

I bought the processor, memory and another motherboard 3 weeks ago and it stopped working suddenly. I've replaced DRAM and motherboard and reused processor.

Thank you,

Fernando.

hey the samething happened to me but after i popped the ram into the mobo it screwed my cpu over i haev a e8500 but its running at 1.58 ghz when it should be running at 3.16 ghz
December 30, 2008 11:42:09 PM

lol DDR3 on an X38... sucked in
!