ASUS Striker II 790i ultra SLI freezing

Sloppy998

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hi ppl, ive recently put a rig together about 2 weeks ago and have been having constant system freezes.

My system has frozen playing Crysis usually around an hour into play somtimes sooner somtimes later. It freezes almost every time i run Convertxtodvd encoding my videos into pal format. It has frozen while watching movies off my harddrive and it has frozen twice while just surfing the net while downloading.

Here is my setup:
EVGA 9800 GX2 "Superclocked" edition gpu
Q9450 cpu
ASUS Striker II extreme 790i ultra SLI
akasa powermax 850W psu
zalman cpu cooler
500gb seagate barracuda HDD (sata)
Vista 32bit
OCX 1333MHz DDR3 platinum 2x1gb RAM

I have tried using the drivers that came with the mobo and gpu. I have tried wiping my hdd and then using normal vista drivers. Then tried using the drivers off nvidia website. The driver updates from nvidia seem to make the freezes less frequent (my comp froze while downloading them, doh). I have also tried using XP.

My temps dont seem high.

I have ran memtest on each of the pieces of ram and they both passed 5 runs.

Im not overclocking and havent done since ive had the rig. Everything is on auto.

Not really sure what to do apart from feeling like yelling at ASUS but im not even sure whats wrong with it.

Any help would be much appreciated!! Thx.

ogegoon

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I have the same issue with my striker ii since the beginning. I thought it was due to the SLI. But even with SLI disabled, it was still freezing. After doing the same changes and tests as you, I finally tried to reinstall vista (I am using a Vista x64). And it started to freeze also during the installation (even with the default settings in the bios and nearly every extra devices disconnected). I tried also with other RAM, with another GPU, ... but I still had my system freezing from time to time (sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after 1h, somtimes while surfing, sometimes while reading emails).

I have received once a message from Probe II about the voltage of the RAM. In the log of Probe II, I have seen the voltage going from 1.90 (normal) to 1.10 (anormal), then back to 1.90 and next to 0.0... And the bios was still configured with the default settings (i.e.: votlage auto)... The latest version of the bios is installed. So what ? Could the MB have a defect ? (The Ram also pass several test runs).

I am paying attention to the t° of the CPU and MB and it's never to high. When the PC freeze, I can still read these t° on the probe ii screens.

I am very disapointed. Actually, I had a Gigabyte X48 DQ6 (that was running fine) and wanted to replace it with an Asus to install two NVidia 8800GT with SLI enabled.

I amstill trying to find a solution.

O.

cyberdeath

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I too have had this problem for about six months. At first I thought it was a Temp thing so I got a bigger cpu fan and monitoring software. I thought maybe memory so I did an Umbutu memory test. Tried disabeling the sli, no luck. I swapped the graphics cards around and tried running them one at a time, no change. Then I thought must be a bad hard drive so I swapped those out. I've tride 3 different operating systems. (vista 64, Umbutu, and XP) I've flashed the Bios. I contacted XFX ,who made the motherboard, and they said the automatic voltage settings for the memory are wrong and I need to look them up and adjust accordingly. This did NOT work :fou: I thought hmmm maybe a bad cpu so I bought a new one. No. No. No.
XFX boast a 2 year warrenty but insist that it must be sent back to the company I bought it from. Well I got it from BUY.COM who told me they will not except anything after 30 days. I then called them and said, "but it has a 2 year warrenty". Too bad it must go to the manufacture. So I called XFX and told them the whole story AGAIN and they said NO! it must go to BUY.COM. This is why people go crazy. :pt1cable: The moral of the story is there is NOTHING you can do! They have your money HA-HA-HA