Sign in with
Your question

Problem with speed

Last response: in Windows XP
August 12, 2010 2:07:56 PM

Hi can anyone tell me why my siemens pc is slow when i start up I have just done a full restore, but it takes about 5/10 minutes before I can get on internet

More about : problem speed

August 12, 2010 2:25:22 PM

1st off, what are your full system specs? What type of internet connection you have? Have you spoken with your ISP about the issue?

When you say 5-10 minutes, is that from when you turn the PC on, or the PC is on, you click to open the browser and it takes 5-10 minutes to open and load a page?
August 12, 2010 4:12:47 PM

hang-the-9 said:
1st off, what are your full system specs? What type of internet connection you have? Have you spoken with your ISP about the issue?

When you say 5-10 minutes, is that from when you turn the PC on, or the PC is on, you click to open the browser and it takes 5-10 minutes to open and load a page?

Scaleo 600 AXP24 1.256MB

HDD 80GB IDE 5400U/min
MOD Data/Fax Modem 56 bps
CPU AMD Athlon XP 2400+ L2/256kb
Related resources
August 12, 2010 4:25:50 PM

If you are using a dial up 56k modem, with all of the heavy multi-media sites, I can see why it may take some pages to take 5 minutes to load.

Open a light page like google, does that take a long time as well? Anything with Flash movies, other videos, etc... will be slow for you on dial-up.
August 12, 2010 4:30:54 PM

hang-the-9 said:
If you are using a dial up 56k modem, with all of the heavy multi-media sites, I can see why it may take some pages to take 5 minutes to load.

Open a light page like google, does that take a long time as well? Anything with Flash movies, other videos, etc... will be slow for you on dial-up.

I am using broadband
August 12, 2010 4:40:36 PM

micky2010 said:
I am using broadband

Ah, when you put in the 56k modem in, I thought you were saying what you were connecting with.

You did not answer all the question though, just put in the system specs.

Is the 5 min time from when you hit the power button or from when you try to open the web browser?

Does it take that long for the program to open and then it's fast to load the page, or does it open fast but the page takes a long time to load, or do both take a long time?
August 12, 2010 4:47:54 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Ah, when you put in the 56k modem in, I thought you were saying what you were connecting with.

You did not answer all the question though, just put in the system specs.

Is the 5 min time from when you hit the power button or from when you try to open the web browser?

Does it take that long for the program to open and then it's fast to load the page, or does it open fast but the page takes a long time to load, or do both take a long time?

sorry I put 56k for MOD I installed microsoft security essentials so when I power pc up soon it goes on the icon is red so have to wait for it to go green this must be updating
August 12, 2010 5:00:00 PM

You should be able to access your programs while your anti-virus is updating. Are you just waiting for it to go green before you open anything?

You did not say where the slow part was happening at. If you are just sitting waiting for something to finsh that you don't need to wait for, that's not really slowness.

Let's try again... when you start your web browser, at what part is it slow? Is the program slow to open, slow to load pages, or do both of those things take a long time (couple of minutes each). And are you sure this is actually 5-10 minutes and not 30 seconds? A few people I dealt with have told me that it takes many minutes for something to start, I timed it and it was 45 seconds.
August 12, 2010 5:10:14 PM

hang-the-9 said:
You should be able to access your programs while your anti-virus is updating. Are you just waiting for it to go green before you open anything?

You did not say where the slow part was happening at. If you are just sitting waiting for something to finsh that you don't need to wait for, that's not really slowness.

Let's try again... when you start your web browser, at what part is it slow? Is the program slow to open, slow to load pages, or do both of those things take a long time (couple of minutes each). And are you sure this is actually 5-10 minutes and not 30 seconds? A few people I dealt with have told me that it takes many minutes for something to start, I timed it and it was 45 seconds.

When you turn pc on red light is on surely u have to wait cause it says pc is at risk.
I have just done Ctrl+Alt+ Delete in my Processes I have got 50 which is at bottom do this slow it up and had do I close programmes which I don't need
August 12, 2010 5:23:22 PM

You don't have to wait, it's just the program is loading.

So the slowness is at this point where you have to wait? 50 Processes is not an issue, I have over 80 running now on my PC with only 2 programs open.

You did not say how much RAM you have, if it's 1gig or less, you would do well with getting some more. If you go to www.crucial.com, they have a nice system scanner you can run that should tell you what you have installed, and what you can upgrade to.

Turn on the PC, once you get the deskop, start up your browser, you won't have any issues.
August 12, 2010 5:51:52 PM

hang-the-9 said:
You don't have to wait, it's just the program is loading.

So the slowness is at this point where you have to wait? 50 Processes is not an issue, I have over 80 running now on my PC with only 2 programs open.

You did not say how much RAM you have, if it's 1gig or less, you would do well with getting some more. If you go to www.crucial.com, they have a nice system scanner you can run that should tell you what you have installed, and what you can upgrade to.

Turn on the PC, once you get the deskop, start up your browser, you won't have any issues.

my system configuration is 768MB
August 12, 2010 6:26:25 PM

hang-the-9 said:

thanks for all the time you spent on answering my question cheers mick
August 12, 2010 6:43:18 PM

micky2010 said:
thanks for all the time you spent on answering my question cheers mick

Glad to help, hope it pointed you in the right direction to fix things.
!