Sign in with
Your question

Over clocking madness help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 18, 2008 4:15:44 AM

I just bought a MSI790FX along with a Phenom 9500,4gigs of G.skill @1066.My gpu is a lowly Hd2900pro.All this is running on Vista64.so far the only thing that I have been able to oc is the cpu,getting it up to a very sexy 2.9g from 2.2.I am havin no luck with all the oc tools for my gpu.I've tried riva,ati tools,ati tool tray.I think Windows Vista64 is the culprit.Your help is very much appriciated.Here is my 3DMark06 score http://service.futuremark.com/home.action;jsessionid=4CF7A38AD36B5BCCA8DB1F0B50F4E608

More about : clocking madness

a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2008 5:26:27 AM

Id heard way back when they were announcing the pros, that some wouldnt oc well because of the chip, not the memory. Were you able to oc it before?
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2008 5:30:37 AM

I thought the Pros were XT's that could be moddified to become Xt's again, wouldnt that make them strong overclockers.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 18, 2008 11:53:54 AM

Yes I oc'ed the gpu before when I had my 939 setup on XP using riva tuner.
April 18, 2008 12:12:31 PM

2.9 on a phenom! He's a witch!
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 18, 2008 8:07:56 PM

Annisman said:
I thought the Pros were XT's that could be moddified to become Xt's again, wouldnt that make them strong overclockers.

Not in the sence i think you mean. Your post reads like you think they are similar to a x800 series card that had pipelines locked.
The PRO chips are basically binned XT chips which would mean they were either unstable at the correct spec to be an XT chip or they couldnt reach the spec in the first place. Obviously there would be a window of qualification for how badly they could perform and still be used as a PRO chip. Im guessing just above the PRO spec and just bellow the XT spec, this leaves you with the chance of getting a chip from either end of the spectrum and its just dumb luck if you get a good one or not.
Mactronix
April 18, 2008 9:33:07 PM

I know it's dead obvious but have you unlocked your gpu with CCC and tried clocking it that way?

Good job on the Phenom o/c :>!!
April 18, 2008 10:21:13 PM

closed_deal said:
I know it's dead obvious but have you unlocked your gpu with CCC and tried clocking it that way?

Good job on the Phenom o/c :>!!

Yes I did,but was not seeing where to change the clocks .I see everthing else but that.This is my first ATI card and very much a novice
April 18, 2008 10:37:04 PM

Righto dead simple. ight click on desktop should see Catalyst Control Center enter that. Now if it's the first time opening it you may need to set the view to advanced so you see all the available options.

The one you want is 'ATI Overdrive' you'll need to click on the picture of the 'padlock' below the name of your GPU. Then all the buttons below should light up. Quickest way to o/c is to press the Auto-Tune, keep an eye coz sometimes it can lock up the system and just enter the GPU clock or mem clock when before it failed then to a gfx bench ie 3DMark a few times to strain it.

Or you can manually increment the clocks by moving the sliders up and down. Then 'Test Custom Clocks' and accept if it passes.
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 19, 2008 4:00:52 AM

ro3dog said:
Yes I did,but was not seeing where to change the clocks .I see everthing else but that.This is my first ATI card and very much a novice

Not sure with a pro but a XT card wont overclock without the extra powercable, you do have two attached ?
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 19, 2008 4:40:57 AM

mactronix said:
Not sure with a pro but a XT card wont overclock without the extra powercable, you do have two attached ?

Just found this in a review of the card from X-bit labs.
Like its forebear, the ATI Radeon HD 2900 Pro is equipped with two power connectors: a standard 6-pin PCI Express and an 8-pin PCI Express 2.0. You can insert a 6-pin plug into the latter connector, though. The official overclocking tool available in the Catalyst driver is disabled for the card, but you can overclock it using third-party utilities. The GPU working at a reduced frequency, we can expect the card to have a lower power draw – we’ll check it out in the next section.
Mactronix
April 19, 2008 3:56:59 PM

Hey,thanks folks .Unfortunatelly the 3rd party overclocking utilities did not work for me .Mactronix you are right,I need an 8 and 6 pin power to use ccc.I have a PC power&cooling kilowatt psu,so I decided to check there site for adapters for my 6 pin and they do have them.I ordered 4 and hopefully this will unlock ati ccc.Thanks again and stay tuned.hey jeremyrail ton my phenom 9500 is now @ 3.0,LOL just working my magic
May 5, 2008 5:21:01 AM

The problem was with the power.I recieved my 6 pin to 8 pin adapter -and was able to oc the card using ccc.I am very greatfull for everyone's help,thank you
a c 130 U Graphics card
May 5, 2008 7:08:01 AM

ro3dog said:
The problem was with the power.I recieved my 6 pin to 8 pin adapter -and was able to oc the card using ccc.I am very greatfull for everyone's help,thank you

Glad to help Happy Gaming :) 
Mactronix
!