How do I get CD Rom to work again on windows xp by Dell

EdHurn2

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Ok,my girl friend has windows xp by Dell, for 5 years now.The cable Modem ( Motorola ) went out,she got a new cable modem ( MOtorola ) from the cable company.when I installed the modem I accidently hook up the USB cable and the Ethernet connection to the cable modem,we then received a blue screen erro 0x00000024,I disconnected the USB cable and just had the ethernet connection hooked to the modem,but now the computer wont boot up the CD Rom wont door wont open inorder to put installation disc in to resart the computer,windows has shut down the computer to prevent further damage,so please tell to correct the problem,Im not a expert at this and my girl friend and I are 60 years and unemployed,so we have no money to get it fixed,please help.

When the computer is starting, hit the F8 key every second or so untill you see a boot screen with some selections for Safe Mode, etc...

Select Safe Mode and see if the PC starts up then, it should. Once that, go into Device Manager and look to see if the modem you have is in there, it will probably have a red X or a Yellow ! next to it. Right-click on it and remove it from your system. Reboot the PC normally and see if that helps.

If your CD ROM door is stuck, there is a little hole on the faceplate you can poke a unbent paperclip in to pop it open.

left click start in the lower left hand of the screen
left click run
type regedit
left click OK
Now the registry editor will come up
double left click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
double left click on SYSTEM
double left click on CurrentControlSet
double left click on Control
double left click on Class
double left click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
look on the right side of the window for upper filters
right click on upper filters
left click delete
windows will then ask you to confirm deletion
click yes
look on the right side of the window for lower filters
if you do not see lower filters, you may be out of luck on this one.
right click on lower filters
left click on delete
windows will then ask to confirm deletion
click yes
Close all the windows that are open
restart the computer

Maybe the PC works fine with it, they don't care to have flashy window effects, they PC won't run it well and they are 60 yrs old? There are a few hundred reasons why people don't upgrade. I'm betting that their PC also does not have a quad core CPU and water cooling.

You can't do this if it's not booting into windows.

Tap F8 on startup repeatedly. Try booting into safe mode with command prompt. Does it bring up the black DOS box with a command prompt? If yes, type this the following command exactly, and press enter:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
This will open the system restore. Pick one of the dates on the calender before the problem happened, and start the restore.