Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD's new roadmap...

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 8, 2008 9:20:53 AM

Whatcha think folks?


H2 2008 - Shanghai Revision C - 45nm - apparently 20% IPC on Barcelona - HT3
Q2 2009 Suzuka - Shanghai with DDR3 support and new socket
**Mid 2009 - Shanghai Revision D - 45mn - High K ** (not confirmed by multiple sources)
H2 2009 - Istanbul - 45nm - 6 cores
H1 2010 - Magny Cours* - 45nm - 12 cores


*I like the play on the name AMD - very good :D  (if you don't get it, Magny Cours is French and pronounced "many cour")





Unfortunately, I don't think any of it will be able to compete with Nehalem on an outright performance basis.

Looks like AMD are in the low end for some time to come.

More about : amd roadmap

May 8, 2008 9:30:22 AM

Amiga500 said:


*I like the play on the name AMD - very good :D  (if you don't get it, Magny Cours is French and pronounced "many cour")

Unfortunately, I don't think any of it will be able to compete with Nehalem on an outright performance basis.



Magny Cours is a F1 Track. So is Suzuka. Ofc thei are names of cities also, but i think AMD is on a F1 Naming theme.
Compete with nehalem ? Maybe we will be talking of apple and oranges. Their both nice and both diferent. We shall see. Too soon to tell.
May 8, 2008 9:32:51 AM

radnor said:
Magny Cours is a F1 Track. So is Suzuka. Ofc thei are names of cities also, but i think AMD is on a F1 Naming theme.


Indeed they are...


They have a platform called Maranello on the way.


Anyone that knows anything about motorsport knows who is based in Maranello. :) 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2008 9:41:35 AM

Amiga500 said:
They have a platform called Maranello on the way.


Anyone that knows anything about motorsport knows who is based in Maranello. :) 


Hmmm... And who else helped with an AMD ad campaign a while back...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oCzFUmO5vLI
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2008 2:07:08 PM

Where is the link on AMD's site for the roadmap ??

Can't find it.

The old one is gone.

???
May 8, 2008 2:26:58 PM

This looks like it'll keep AMD competitive in the mainstream markets. It's obvious that Nehlame will dominate the high end, unless it's a complete flop. However, what percentage of computers sold are actually "high-end"? What AMD really needs to do is gain some market share and start being profitable. I believe that if this road-map goes to plan then they could be doing quite well for themselves.
a c 126 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 8, 2008 2:34:14 PM

Not a bad roadmap. But knowing AMD and their recent ones we can't say for sure how well they will stick to this and if they wont be tempted to take a detour again.

I don't see anything compete with Nehalem in the desktop market albiet a whole new core but in the server arena the 12 core may be interesting competition. Then again as I have said before Intel could have terascale waiting in a box to be unleashed if needed.
!