Programs freeze, driving me crazy, Help me my fellow geeks your my only hope

rantbar

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
Hello,

I put a new SSD and video card in my system, installed windows fresh. and ever since..

Now I have programs hang for 30 seconds like once an hour. (no heat issues)

This happens in any program and watching the system process stuff, no CPU spike, no drive activity, nothing, other programs work, my game can lock but I can still open a browser and surf while I wait for it to become responsive and vice versa

Updated drivers ect.., now sitting with only Microsoft services enabled and all startup programs turned off. (no norton installed ever)

Wondering if AMD did a diver update for new core CPUs and borked me?

Vista ultimate retail
AMD 9950 black ed (not overclocked)
8 gig ram
intel SSD 520 (ahci driver ect, trim clean up run repeatedly)
AMD radeon 6900

1.If it was video hardware or driver I would think it would take everything down or be more unstable..

2.Not sure how the new drive would behave like that but its something else that was changed.

3.And the new install of windows..

I just cant think of anything that would cause a single program at a time to hang while leaving the rest of the system responsive.

rdwarf2000

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Can I assume that since you have 8GB RAM onboard you have the 64-bit version of the OS?
In any case, if the system responds to other apps when one freezes, it may come down to a video card or memory issue. CPU and power supply are probably fine since other apps continue to work. Can you take RAM down to a bare minimum and test for a bit? If it locks, try another pair of DIMMS since you have 8GB to play with. If after going through all your RAM a little at a time it still locks, try another video card if you have one handy.