Suggest me mobo and cpu under 500$

mrfrantik

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I am wondering should i buy amd or intel first question after that which mobo and cpu

I do lot gaming,downloading and little bit of multimedia stuff.I want mobo which have 2 pci slots atleast so that i can use my fatatly sound card and tv tuner card.Gpu is 9800gtx so pci slot should not close to pci express slot.

So now guys suggest me worthy mobo and cpu under 500$ for both.

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
e8400 + Asus P5k-e wifi.

O/C to 3.6GHz with no effort, watch them games fly.

Lots of beer money left over from the transaction!

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
I'm more impressed with an ultra cheap P35 mobo that's extremely efficient & can get an e8400 to 4GHz than an Asus Maximum Extreme for 3x the money and get same results. But that's just me.

Go for the Asus Maximum Extreme X38 board then, but that would blow the budget.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Dont break the bank. Get a decent quad if your looking to be future proof, but a dual will be good enough for quite awhile. E8400 is a good solution for this. Buy a decent mobo of your choice, but dont buy the most expensive thing out there. Buy according to what your needs are, not according to whats shiny and expensive. Middle of the raod is key here. I lean toward Gigabyte and Asus mobos myself, but Abit has been making boards for years as well.

Don't worry about "future-proofing" either. Nehalem this fall/winter will make EVERYTHING except a late generation CPU obsolete.

Buy a good midrange motherboard - less than $200. Combine it with a good midrange C2D or C2Q processor - less than $300.

mrfrantik

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
i am just wondering why most of u guys suggesting intel too much cuz back there i was all the time i hear about amd but now intel.What i know amd is fast ,silent and cool too, i been using for a year without any error.So?

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
Since the C2 architecture, the AMD has been left in the dust in terms of performance; X2 is weak & Phenom phailed.

It's too bad, 'cause a Phenom that could of been as good as the C2 Intel CPUs, would of meant much better prices.

I too had an A8N-SLI board & an Athlon XP 4000+, worked like a charm for 2 years, but very underpowered for todays new games, so I had to finally switch. I ain't pro Intel or pro AMD; I'm pro performance/$

Who knows, maybe Nehalem will be a failure and the next generation of AMD CPUs might eat them alive. We can only hope for some real competition, 'cause there aren't really any right now.

A C2 just can't be beat right now.

rsetter1

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007

That was back then...Now Intel is tops. Intel cooler, faster, mo-betta.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Cadillac used to be awesome (1900 - ~1960s). Now they suck compared to European cars and are on par [at best] with less expensive Japanese cars.

Would you still recommend a Cadillac because they used to be 'the best'?