donating computer power phenom 9950

1dude1

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
alright so i havn't been able to find an oc that will work with my processor to give me the most speed, or around 3.0 ghz. i want to learn ocing but not right now. i just would like to know what some settings are to get a stable oc of 3.0ghz on the phenom 9950 i keep bluescreening at everything above stock. i know it's not a cooling problem, havn't seen it go above 42C.

my setup
m3a79-t deluxe
phenom 9950
16g gskill ddr2-800 800mhz
2x 4870x2
ninja 2 heatsink (12 copper rods and a 120cfm fan(unstock))
1200 watt psu
abs monolith case

i'm trying to donate computer power to folding@home and the world community grid. i'm doing both at the same time because the folding@home uses my 4 gpu's and the world community grid uses my 4 cores, but i know that my cards also use my cores so i would like to oc my cores to get my cards to keep up with what they should be giving. 1gpu at 76%, the other three are at 25-29%. i'm trying to get this number higher and i think it's a bottleneck of my cpu being used so much. please be helpful, you can consider this charity if you feel like it, it's all going for a good cause. i don't mind donating this power it makes me feel like my comp is meant for something. i believe that everybody should get the world communtiy grid because it didn't hamper normal useage when turned on and there is an easy suspend button.

support health!

Have you looked at any overclocking guides? If you are using an overclocking utility you may be better off setting your values in the BIOS. First increase your cpu vcore by 0.1v. Then you must raise your multiplier but only do it by .5 at a time. Since the 9950 BE comes with an unlocked multiplier you should increase your CPU speed this way rather than adjusting the FSB. You probably won't be able to get it up to 3.0GHz with stock cooling though. If you haven't already you could try AMDs Overdrive utility but it takes a long time to settle on a value and you may have better results tweaking the system yourself anyway.

"ninja 2 heatsink (12 copper rods and a 120cfm fan(unstock))"

dont think hes using stock cooling?

and agreed, follow the guides and dont expect 3ghz, some cpus just will not overclock, some are champs.

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Have you run just folding on your cards and seen how much of your cpu is used? I know when I was folding on my c2d my 3870 would load one core to 95%+ running at 4.2g. That was probably 6 months ago and I know they were talking about getting rid of the need for the cpu to run on a vid card. If it hasn't I believe you are really hurting one or the other or maybe both. I don't think that small of overclock will help your situation much. I would think just running F@H would allow you to contribute the most out of your system since the graphic cards are so much faster.

1dude1

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
yeah i got this right before the i7 came out, it was one of those ".........." moments of pure frustration when i discovered it. i'm going to buy the deneb when it comes out and that will probably help out my situation.

yeah an i7 would kick ass but i don't got it.
probably going to just kill world communtiy grid untill i can get a better processor. might wait untill later on in 2009 when the faster denebs come out.

1dude1

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
also when i just killed the world community grid my processor dropped down to around 50% useage. is this right for a bottleneck? or could it be the fact that i havn't switched to a single rail yet?(different thread) but it doesn't feel like it's bottlenecking.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
The i7 would still be a bottleneck, and its a huge waste of money to go that route right now for a small performance gain over the Qxxx series.

Says the guy, that knows nothing because he cant afford one his self.

Small performance gain? I dont know where you get your numbers. Small for games with one GPU, but huge for multiple GPU rigs and every app besides games.

Get a life loser!

1dude1

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
i didn't want intell to begin with but i think the i7 would be sweet, all i've heard about is 23460 score in 3d mark while my processor is 8777. i think thats a pretty damn good increase. and thats mine at stock and the i7 way oc'd. they have even gotten a score of 31000 with an oc'd one. my processor has gotten a max of 16000(another forum), not mine directly but the 9950 BE.
i think the i7 would be an amazing processor to own