Sign in with
Your question

Not Detecting HDD

Last response: in Storage
June 4, 2009 4:51:32 AM

I have a Seagate Barracude 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB cache HDD that I use in an external enclosure as a data storage drive. Normally I connect it via eSATA on my desktop but via USB on my laptop. Recently neither computer has been able to detect it. The HDD spins up and is on, but it isn't detected in the Device Manager at all through USB connection or through eSATA.

I took it out of the enclosure and connected it to my desktop internally via a SATA cable and the same problem persisted, no detection under the Device Manager. So it's not the enclosure. I'm hoping the drive is not dead because I have a bunch of data on it that I need.

More about : detecting hdd

a b G Storage
June 4, 2009 5:04:12 AM

Sounds like the drive has a problem....have you emailed Seagate about the issue?
There were some 1TB drives (earlier models) that had some hardware bios issus.
Hopefully you didn't get one of these, but Seagate was replacing those drives.
Contact them and hopefully they will be able to replace the drive and recover the data...
a b G Storage
June 4, 2009 5:07:22 AM

Yeah seagate had an issue with some of their drives randomly bricking as a result of some safety feature. The data is safe but will need to be professionally recovered. Contact seagate ASAP. I don't think the new firmware will "unbrick" the drive but it's worh a shot if the data isn't too valuable.
Related resources
June 4, 2009 2:00:51 PM

I checked it out on the Post bios load up, and my computer has a main SATA HDD, then 2 IDE HDD's connected through a pci ide raid card. After loading up the main (OS hosting) SATA HDD it hangs for 15-30 seconds before going to the other 2 HDD's and booting.

Is it a problem that affects the data on the drive? Because it's has a lot of my media and files for school.
a b G Storage
June 4, 2009 8:27:13 PM

Then that confirms it's the same firmware probem.

All data and everything is still there, just that the faulty firmware prevent the drive from being recognised.
As mentioned in that link I gave you it also links to this site which provides the full explanation for the cause and how to solve it through using a serial (RS232-TTL) cable. (for the technically advanced)
June 11, 2009 6:28:21 PM

I just contacted Seagate and they confirmed it is one of the affected drives. They are in the process to have it sent in to be fixed with free data recovery.
!